German 7,92mm Panzergescho

Reading through some reports, I ve found out some interesting facts. I always wonder about this solid hardened steel projectile with copper driving band.
Trials started in 1941, but why they make this interesting bullet. There are some jacketed bullets with hardcores, steel cores, PMK ect…

Foto: municion.org

[b]The Panzergescho

Thanks for posting this genkideskan! You have given us some very good information. I have recently become very interested in the 7,92mm round of WWI and WWII and this one in particular I find fascinating.
Do you know about how much of this ammunition was produced? Was it ever found in the possession of, or known to be used by, any infantry units?

Iam not sure about the number of solid AP bullets. Well the trials used about 40 different patterns and may be they make 1000 to 5000 bullets. The final pattern APINCT was made in an number of 100000 bullets in November 1943. It was made only for aircraft use.

The nosecap was made thinner to gaine sensibility and the tracer pocket was made bigger for better ignition. The thinned out cap works well, but was difficult to produce. Even a primer cap in the nose was tested, without low effect. So a plastic nosecap was used, made from Trolitul, the impact ignite the incendiary composit - the caphole was lathed out to give an sharp edge for better punch the target media and a waffle pattern was pressed into the primer compound to rise surface and therefor an better ignition of the tracer.

The bullet was still too light and the tracer problem wasnt solved 100 %.
So a lead cylinder was set into the bullet to reach a weight of 10 gramms and a prepressed tracer capsule was used. This was, after 40 different bullet patterns, the final version of the APINCT projectile. Interesting that this projectile where designated as incendiary shells ( Brandgranate ) - and not bullets. May be because of the driving band. 100000 bullets where made in November 1943.

Several more tests with a totally different design using a jacket with pressed in - or better pressed out driving band, a steel tube and tracer capsule, limping the introduction of the bullets into mid 1944. These jacketed version was not successful, low performance, difficult to produce and there was a shortage of drawn jackets.

Then all developement and a introduction was ceased. The war overroll the project. Aircraft guns of 13mm, 20mm and 30mm where standard- no chance for the 7,92mm caliber. This is a little bit long winded, but very interesting to see an evolution and developement of a bullet type. At the end with a successful new bullet design, but outdated by weapon, aircraft, armour and protection designs.

This is very good information, excatly like I like it.
Original drawings, no bla bla bla.

Very good !
JP

PS: do you have all the models shown ?

Thank you,

no I didnt have even one … I collect manuals, documents and informations.

Very thrilling, too :-).

ab

Genkideskan, thanks for the drawing, I use to catalogued it as an IT bullet.

Dutch

Ive wrote Iam not sure about the number of solid AP bullets.

They made about 1000 to 5000 bullets of each trial pattern of the
APINC and APINCT.

Iam sure they made 100000 bullets of the FINAL APINCT bullet

Ahhh - my english is lousy …

Dutch thanks a lot for the foto of a real projectile.

Genkideskan - don’t get discouraged! Your English is not “lousy.” How many of use do German, or any other second language, as well as you do English? Not many. Your English is better than my Italian or Spanish, by far, and the only German I know are cartridge terms. I could not say one social sentence to you in German if we were not talking cartridges!!! I admire all of our “foreign” (to the U.S.) friends who use this Forum in a language that is not their own! Keep up your great postings.

Thanks a lot John,

I would not win a price in literature but I hope to write understandable - more or less :-).

Best