German 7,92x57 practice tracer (drawing)

Another drawing from the files in Leeds.

Happy collecting, Peter

Here is a picture of my MG34 with the proper booster cone, l.s./ 9.5mm marked, for shooting the aluminum training ammo, both ball and tracer. JH

Jim, how is that ammo behaving contrary to “normal” tracer? I have shot a little swedish made 6,5x55 short range tracer (Training ammo for the Carl Gustav 84 mm recoilless) The 6,5 just hits the ground earlier but ricochets fly as other tracer do. Does the l.S. go unstable after a while?
Soren

Here is a cutaway of cartridge 7.92 x 57 I.S.L’spur.

[quote=“mausernut”]Jim, how is that ammo behaving contrary to “normal” tracer? I have shot a little swedish made 6,5x55 short range tracer (Training ammo for the Carl Gustav 84 mm recoilless) The 6,5 just hits the ground earlier but ricochets fly as other tracer do. Does the l.S. go unstable after a while?
Soren[/quote]
Years ago I bought a relatively large amount of German 7,9 that had been repacked in 50 round “Vic’s For Guns” boxes. About 3000+ rounds was l.S ball, both copper washed steel & lacquered steel. There was a much smaller amount of l.S. tracer. We never mixed the ammo with full power sS for obvious reasons in MG’s and never really fired at longer ranges (400 + yards). The mixed belts of trace & ball (l.S.) always just made a single dust cloud with an occasional tracer ricocheting. Even at that time, most of the igniter’s had gone bad so I could not give you a good description of the stability of the round visibly. These are not toys however, I would certainly not want someone shooting at me, even at a thousand yards or so. JH

Just in case there is someone who is not familiar with these loadings here are some random samples of boxes.

Thanks Phil, great pictures as always. JH

If the bne St 17 41 lS round looks like it might have a whitish coating on the case that’s only because it does! It was common practice to coat the lacquered steel cases with wax to improve extraction in MG’s. An auxiliary label was placed on the 900 and 1500 round crates that contained the waxed cases.

With age the wax has a tendency to turn powdery and many collectors have removed it not realizing it was supposed to be there.

“Cartridge cases are waxed, do not oil or grease under any circumstances”

Here is a SmK L’spur round where the wax is more obvious.

Phil,
Because much of the wax has been lost because of the passage of time, I generally re-wax lacquered WW2 German with a carnuba based wax before shooting. Works great. JH