German 7.9mm Repack labels

The Germans had facilities that received ammunition from the loading plants and then distributed it to units in the field. They were called Luftmunitionsanstalt (sometimes seen as L-Muna) for the Air Force and Heersmunitionsanstalt (sometimes seen as H.Ma.) for the Army. They would have been the equivalent of U.S. Ammunition Depots.

Some of the 7.9mm ammunition that came from the loading plants was packed in 1500 round, air tight, zinc lined wooden cases (Luftdichture Patronenkasten) which were costly and not very compatible with combat operations. These facilities would inspect, add or remove 5 round chargers and repack the ammunition into either the airtight or the lighter and cheaper Patronenkasten 88 cases.

During these operations the identification (mfg. dates and lot numbers) of the various components (the powder seemed to be especially critical) would be unknown or mixed. A special label would be printed and applied to this ammunition.

There has been a couple very interesting recent threads on German labels and I thought there might be some interest in these Munitionsanstalt labels.

If anyone knows what location Ru. (as in L-Muna Ru.) is the abbreviation for, please let me know.

click on picture to enlarge

Very interesting labels that I have never seen before!

Could Ru. be referring to Russia? Maybe the Germans set up a forward “anstalt” there to shorten the supply lines?

What does “Vollwertig” mean? My pocket dictionary suggests that it means something like “full value”. Does this mean the ammunition is cleared for general issue and not reserved for training or other limitations?

AKMS

AKMS
Yes, That’s it. I’ve always called it “Up to Snuff” but I know that’s not correct. The German speakers that I’ve talked to find it difficult to express in English but you have the general drift.

I really don’t have any idea what location Ru. is the abbreviation for. I rather dought it would be Russia as I think some of the labels pre-date Germany’s invasion of Russia.

There is a humorous story that goes with the S.m.K. H. Ma. Neckarzimmern repack box. I sent my very good friend Dutch a scan of the box when I first acquired it. He said he had never seen a label from Neckarzimmern before and that the Installation was still active. He asked if I could get a box for him. I was able to and I sent it to him. Awhile later he sent me a e-mail and said thanks for the Platzpatrone 27 label. I asked what Platzpatrone 27 label?? I

Interesting that most of the dates are early in the war, after the France-Low Countries Invasions…could it be “battlefield returns” of ammo? besides the usual “Inspection downgrading” of Warehoused ammo, ( Ubungwecke --for training use), or removal of ladestriefen ( as occurred in a lot of the German ammo which turned up from Turkey (it was all Balkans and Greek and North Africa invasion date ammo).

“Ru” is the common German abbreviation of “Russland” (Russia), but could also be the short form of a German Town name, which is more likely.

To find “unbekannt” (Unknown) on a label signifies that the ammo has lost its original Packets and/or labels, so the details of the ammo itself —loading, components, etc are not known…the headstamp only shows the “case maker” details, not the “Assembler” ( although in a lot of instances, they were one and the same). This would suggest battlefield salvage, etc.

Nice labels, interesting how they have survived WW II, as most down graded or repacked ammo is used up immediately…mostly in training ( whether marked as such or not.); German Combat troops preferred fresh, correctly labelled ammo they could have confidence in. Although by late 1943, any ammo that would go “bang” was used…

Good thread.
regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

DocAV

You mentioned the 7.9mm that came in from Turkey. Here is a case that really has been through a lot of hands. It has the original German markings, Italian markings, then the British capture markings and finally Turkish markings

Hi,
L.-Muna Ru means Luftwaffen - Munitionsanstalt Ruhleben

Per Johannes Preuss’ excellent little book Zahlencode System des Heeres bis 1925 von 1940 the letters Ru indicate the Luftmunitionsanstalt Rochau in the German state of Saxony-Anhalt. The code follows the typical German ordnance facility coding method used at the time of using the first and last letters of the place name. JG

My Thanks to all for the input. I’ve been looking for some time where the location of Ru. was/is.

J. Gill - Is that the title of the book “Zahlencode System des Heeres bis 1925 von 1940”? I am going to have to see if I can find me a copy of it. How large a publication is it?

Thanks again.

J. Gill
I found this listing on a Google search. Is this the same book?

ZAHLENCODE SYSTEM DES HEERES VON 1925 BIS 1940 (NUMERIC CODE SYSTEM OF THE ARMY FROM 1925 TO 1940). Preuss, Dr. Johannes.
2002. 188pp, 6x8.25; German text; listing of the manufacturers & re-manufacturers of weapons, ammunition & equipment for the Germany Army in the field & air; along with concerned persons, scientists, & institutions from 1925 to 1940; NET SC. NEW Item # 102000

The only reason I ask is that it referrs to the numeric code system.

Phil: Yes, that’s the title; it’s a small (200 pages or so) book in wrappers but is packed with original source material in tabular form on German ordnance depots, numerical codes, and related data. It includes the only extensive list of German numerical pre-1941 ordnance codes I’ve ever seen.
The text is in German, but since it’s essentially alphabetically arranged tables once you’ve doped out the headings it’s pretty easy going even with minimal German. Dr. Preuss evidently mined all this material from archives in Germany, and it helps to support (or destroy) all kinds of theories of “who did what.” JG (Phil: just saw your follow-up post; yes, that’s it)

J. Gill: Thank you much for the info. I’ve got the book on order.

I hope everyone isn

Did the Kreigsmarine have their own anstalten or was this provided by the Luftwaffe or Heer?

AKMS

Phil,

Are all of the chargers identical. How are they marked, is that a “P” I see on the brass one shown?

gravelbelly

AKMS
I don

AKMS, Phil: There were Marinemunitionsanstalten, but maybe they processed more heavy caliber stuff than small arms ammo. I’ve been told the clips with a 2-digit date within a triangle are Polish by a source who’s usually reliable. Mine has 29 within the triangle. JG

J. Gill
That

Phil–

According to Windisch et al in their recent book “Von der Patrone 88 zur Patrone S”, by 1923 the easing of wartime shortages had permitted the manufacture of brass chargers with steel springs, firstly by Polte Magdeburg (marked with a P) and then from 1929 to 1934 by a still unidentified firm who used the triangle mark followed by the date. Although they don’t specifically say so, the clear implication is that these were made in Germany, and so are most probably quite distinct from those with the date inside the triangle, reported to be Polish.

Does anyone have a picture of a Polish charger with the “2-digit date within a triangle” markings. I would be interested in seeing it if you could post it.