German 7,9x57 "bne St+ 24 44" box corrosion

I guess this is that “from within” gun powder corrosion which can’t be stopped. Only 4 rounds (standing) still have powder movement sound. But the box is in a very good shape. What is the most reasonable action, to deactivate 4 good rounds and keep them with the box and isolate the rest?

Inerting and oiling is the only way to do.
And even the 4 rounds left may rip when you will pull the projectiles.
This way you have at least a chance.
Not doing anything will be 100% fatal.

1 Like

A am sorry to say it, but they were made for a war and not for ammunition collectors 77 years after they were made.
The problem is the powder. I think they already knew it at the time the cartridge was made.
Additional sticker in the box. Made for use A.S.A.P.

Rgds

5 Likes

Cartridge case waxed!
Do not use oil or grease (" lard")

Utilise quickly (Verbrauch bestimmt)

DocAV

1 Like

All right, I tried to inert with a kinetic hammer. The bullets fused to the mouth and would not come out. I am going to drill a side hole and put 7 drops of oil inside. Any better ideas?

I have quite a number of German Cartridges that have pin holes and rust, on them. I ended up putting them in glass tubes. Its a good practise to not shoot these late war cartridges.

1 Like

I drilled holes, a mixture of flake gun powder and rusty looking fine brownish red powder came out. Some rounds made a puff of dust when punctured, like it was under pressure.

I have unloaded all my german 7,9 ammo with steel cases. A great % of them had rusty inside cases between powder.

1 Like

I have allot of them in my collection I put in blood tubes. I understand this was from not coating the inside of cases to save time and they figure ammunition would be used before any problems would happen. I would not shoot any German WW2 steel case ammunition.

1 Like