German 7,9x57 charger ∆34

I remember a discussion of German vs Czech headstamp coding systems, with Czech triangles and circles being mentioned. Does this triangle make it a Czech 1934 charger? It came with 5 German 7,9x57 rounds from mid-1930’s.

I think in 1934 the Czechs did not use triangles. As far as I remember it is German. But wait for Peter to swing by, he sure can tell.

1 Like

As far as I know these “Triangle” chargers start at 29 and run though to 34, which I presume is the year of production … that puts them in the later period of “Weimar” Germany. I’ve usually ascribed these chargers to being made after the Allied Disarmament Committee was disbanded at the start of 1927 and immediately before the break from the Versailles Treaty and overt German rearmament in 1934/35 … so during a time when it was necessary to ramp up production, whilst still being able to profess innocence were questions to be asked, a policy that continued with the use of letter codes instead of dates, where K = 1934 and G = 1935.

A couple of questions … was there German production of 7,9x57 ammunition from 1923 to 1934 and was this open and allowed by the Allied inspectors within the country, or was it concealed ? If not, what was the source of ammunition for the rump Weimer forces in those years ?

Pete

1 Like

There was one factory for small arms ammunition authorized by the International Military Control Commission, which was Polte in Magdeburg.
And there were small secret factories, mostly set up in rural areas: Treuenbrietzen, Salzwedel, Empelde come to mind. Pistol ammunition production by Burgsmüller was discovered by IMCC and stopped.
One batch of ammunition (manufacturer code Ps) was imported from Sweden.

2 Likes

Note also that code dating did not begin with 1934’s ‘K’ marking. It was used from the middle 1920s, and while it isn’t seen (AFAIK) in headstamps, it is occasionally found on box labels in lieu of conventional date. Jack

1 Like

This is a german triangele code.
I add the chargers from 1929 until 1934.

The Czech triangles from 1949 has the top of the triangele the other way round.

Norbert Berg

1 Like