German 7,9x57 charger clips, a timeline

In the course of another topic; German Stripper Clips the discussion veered away slightly from the original topic and I thought it might be useful to set out a timeline for the various types of charger (or stripper) clips used to load the German 7,9x57 military rifle. I’m not at home at the moment and the hard-drive I have with me isn’t all I have on these clips but I hope this is useful.

All dates are approximate.

Original type, two piece, nickle-plated brass with a steel spring. 1898-1909

Two piece, unplated brass with a steel spring; 1909-1914

One piece, stamped brass without separate spring; 1914-1915

One piece, stamped steel without separate spring; 1914-1915

Two piece, zinced or phosphated steel body with steel spring; 1915-1918

Two piece, unplated brass body, steel spring; Weimar production dates between 1929-1934

Two piece, brass or steel body, steel spring, various surface finishes; Initial manufacturers codes 1934-1941

Two piece, steel body with steel spring, various surface finishes; Later manufacturers codes 1940-1945

Embarrassingly the only Government Arsenal produced un-plated brass body clips I have all have holes in the spring … something that’s not registered with me before.

As usual, there are lots of anomalies as well as manufacturing variations that were brought in to save time or materials … but this is the basic framework to hang the story upon.

Peter

1 Like

Thanks for starting this topic. Very useful information presented here

Could those spring holes be a tooling indicator for where to punch the spring retaining tabs?

Peter: I suspect the government outfits felt less urgency in updating technology than did DWM, so perhaps they did hang onto that practice later than the folks in Karlsruhe. Jack

One piece, stamped brass without separate spring; 1914-1915:
very nice to see such a specimen. Have one and thought it missed the spring. So not.

These were also used by the Turks and they used to show up in quantity … but compared to the German ones they’re very roughly made with lots of sharp edges … in the heat of battle you’d loose a chunk of your thumb for each magazine fill.

The really scarce variant is one made without the central reinforcing rib, I bought one of these from a metal detectorist who found it in the Masurian Lakes battlefields, it was very rusty but complete in the picture he sent … but when it arrived one end was missing

no%20central%20rib

… I’ve never seen another.

Peter

1 Like

Masurian Lakes ( Eastern Front, WWI.)
Doc AV