German 7,9x57 S.m.E

7,9 mm box of 15 cartridge S.m.E.
headstamp edg 44 18 st x

ps: I have a new digital photo camara and I am testing it …
hope you like the pict’s

regards
gyrojet

Interesting label.

They found out in the plant (DWM L

What would make this ammunition not suitable for service use? I suspect a problem with the powder or the uniformity of the charge weight…

I had no idea that the extra labels were put on each individual box. From Kent’s book, I assumed that these special labels were only on the wood crates.

Great box label!

AKMS

Harrie
Looks like your new camera works pretty well!! Nice pictures. I have scans of this label but I never knew what headstamp was in the box. Now I know!! Thanks for posting.

Up until sometime in 1943 you can usually tell what the headstamps in a box should be from the labels. During part of 1943 until the end of the war the cartridge case lot numbers were no longer printed on the labels.

Keep the great pictures coming!!

NICE WORK AND A RARE BOX IN THE U.S. I DON’T COLLECT ANY LONGER BUT I WOULD HAVE TO BUY ONE ANYWAY.

The Ubungs Munition is basically “Trials or Test ammo”; ( trials of what?) but the other labels indicate “Not for Overhead Fire” (Nicht fur Oberschiessen) etc.
So the ammo was usable, but not where the lives of (German) soldiers were at risk. So the Lot must have been relegated for some problem in its assembly…the Primers are zinc cupped ZdH34/40 (non corrosive), and the other components seem OK, and the 1944 dates would make this company well expert in ammo production. May be the primers were a bit “off” in ignition, or the Powder was “mis-loaded”, such that its terminal ballistics were affected, influencing its “Danger Zone” parameters.

So it was labelled to reflect its restricted use. The key to it is the translation of “ubungswecke” ( Only for u…)

Where is my German ordnance dictionary when I need it???

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

According to the information I have,