German flare pistols as offensive weapons

I went to the Allentown gun show (a premier military wares show) and bumped into a bunch of ammo maniacs I saw at SLICS a month ago. Then I learnt from a WWII dealer that German flare guns had HE and grenade launching capabikity. I never knew that, I thought they only fired flares. Wow!!!

2 Likes

First picture, far left cartridge shows one I was told would fit in my Father’s “bring back” German flare pistol. AYF 40 with an aluminum barrel.

1 Like

Yes. They renamed it the ‘Kampfpistole’ or battle pistol. Even introduced rifled barrel to increase accuracy.

2 Likes

My pistol has the rifled barrel. Still looking for a fired cartridge to place in a display case along with my Father’s WW2 picture. Have not been able to locate one. It’s 26.5mm caliber and the chamber is 37mm deep.

1 Like

These cartridges are pricey. The seller wanted $300 for each.

sksvlad
These cartridges were cheap. Try buying them in Australia.
Far left is a flare cartridge. Other HE look like alloy and steel case variations.
All good items. They made message, smoke Deut Indicator,flare and HE. All scarce.
The rifled Z gun could also fire normal German signal cartridges.
The stemmed grenade is fired from the normal smooth barrel pistol. Thanks for the photos.

1 Like

I’ve been told those rifled flare cartridges are known to have been faked, and very well done fakes to boot. So be carefull. Believe there was a thread on the forum about those.

1 Like

Thank you Pete. Here is the topic you mention German 2,7cm Kampfpistole HE cartridge (drawing)

Pete, wouldn’t mind buying one of those Chinese made replicas as long as the price was cheap. It’s just for a display. Might have to settle for a fired signal cartridge. Tom

The drawing does not show when I open that link, does anyone have it that can repost it here?

1 Like

Vlad, not only “grenade” but also AT !

2 Likes

Just saying ;)

Any thoughts on what the Heym flare guns in the late 1960s used? And any info on attempts of Mauser / IWK involvement?

1 Like

Sorry, that drawing was not my post. But maybe Fede can fix the picture of the drawing…

Vlim, the one you have shown has a fake Mauser logo on.
This is a post war Heym made one.

Info from: Horst Thielbörger.

Fede, muy agradecido!!!

EOD, I know. Its not fake. Mauser did own Heym for a number of years in the late 1960s. They experimented with a combination of Heym products with the Mauser brand name.

I got it, thanks, and thanks also to Fede!

1 Like

Look for the differences: here a picture of the Heym. Nitroproofed, proofhouse München 1980.

Here are the drawings I have for this weapon, I posted these back in the Stone Age … when we had to rely on unreliable “others” to host our pictures … but I hope nobody will mind the repetition.

Pete

1 Like

Peter, the last one is not for the flare gun! It is for the ordinary cup launcher for rifles.