German guns and ammo ww2

Any idea what this gun is and what it fires ?

These Africa Corps troops are looking rather dubiously at this ammo. What kind is it ?

[quote=“DrSchmittCSAEOD”]Any idea what this gun is and what it fires ?

[/quote]
Twin MG34’s on double AA mount, 7,9 caliber. JH

Thank you. Interesting to see such a mount on a light vehicle.

Ammo looks like it might be Brit 6-pounder/US 57mm.

The rounds, as the packing indicates, are likely 50mm Pak 38.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_cm_Pak_38

The one guy with a brush in his hands is washing off grease as a preparation to fire these.

[quote=“EOD”]The rounds, as the packing indicates, are likely 50mm Pak 38.
[/quote]

Agreed. Compare the last two rounds in this photo:

Thank you.That looks correct. I did not notice before but in the rear of the photo it looks like the distinctive curve of the shield of that gun.

Anyone interested in air combat over Germany will enjoy the new movie " RED TAILS " . The air combat with Me109s and 262s is the best ever produced. Hard to believe that the ME262 jet fighter could be shot down by prop planes but it was. This shows some of it.

The first ME262s were shot down by a US pilot , Ben Drew , flying a P51. I met him and had him sign a 50BMG shell for my collection. He caught them just taking off and shot both as they attempted to climb out of his range.

He said that they acted like prop plane pilots and that was their mistake. If they has just gunned the engines and flown away he could not have caught them but they tried to loop over behind like a prop fighter would and they flew right into his 50BMG ammo stream.

This .50BMG cartridge is unique in the world. It is signed to me by Col. Rbt. Morgan Pilot of the Memphis Belle and Urban “Ben” Drew Pilot of the Detroit Miss.