German Headstamp Code

Hi,

I am researching a German military headstamp marking. The marking is S*.

One of the best references I have found is the Small Caliber Ammunition Identification Guide, Volume I.

The Guide states that this code or * designates a brass case. I have found several other sources that indicate that for P198 coded ammunition the S* designates a brass case.

The S* may be easily confused with the cartridge designation for the S-patrone which is the larger diameter bullet (0.323) as opposed to the J or J-patrone which was the earlier 0.318 diameter bullet.

Can anyone confirm the S* definition?

Thank you for any information.

Heavyiron

Yes, the “S*” indicates a brass case. The letter “S” is problematical dealing with the German 7.9 Mauser round, as there was the “S-Bore” (.323"), the “S” case, the letter “S” representing the K

The earlist use of the “S*” I have seen is 1927. Has anyone seen an eariler use?

John,

Thank you for confirming the information. You can’t always believe what you read, especially these days. I found a website that has a good description of the German headstamp codes but it is more complicated than a simple list of the definitions since it also involves time periods and when certain codes were in use. I think it is very comprehensive and it was interesting for me to read.

It took me a while to catch onto the German codes. When I first started I thought the code “dou” on some 7.92x33 Kurz ammo was “nop” because of how I had the case oriented. Duh - live and learn.

Here is the link in case anybody cares to look:

users.swing.be/sw017995/7_92x57_1888_1945.htm

Ron, according to the above link, the earliest use of the “S*” may have been 1926.

Thank you for all the information.

Heavyiron

HeavyIron–Thanks for that link. I especially like the range of years used for each headstamp. I was interested to see 1926 listed as the earlist use of “S*”. The earlist I had seen was a Polte case with Lot1 1927.

The earliest use of “S*” on the headstamp of a 7.9 x 57mm cartridge that has been documented by the German Group of ECRA is lot number 9 of 1926. the code P25 (Metallfabrik Treuenbritzen, Werk Sebaldushof) starts sometime after lot 18 of 1926 (lot number 26 of 26 is the first documented lot for this code with "S* instead of “S”). Code P120 (Dynamit A.-G., vormals Alfred Nobel & Co., Werk Empelde) begins at lot 3 of 1926. this does not mean it is earlier (or later) than the Polte use. One would have to know the exact date each lot was manufactured to know that. All P120 headstamps befor 1933 (only five or so in 1926 are known that are earlier than 1933) are very rare. I cannot, off hand, think of any other P-code that starts so early, although I have not searched every number.

The earliest S* in my collection is a fired case, Polte 10th lot from 1926
Reported are Polte cases from 1925 8, 9, and 11th lot. I did not see them.

Rgds,
Dutch

Dutch - I should have turned back one more page in my print out. I never noticed those improved cases (S*) among the “S” marked cases that early.
thanks for pointing them out. I have nothing that early in my own collection. I think my earliest S* Polte case is in the mid-teens - Lot 18 of 1926 comes to mind. I guess they have stopped updating the German Group’s list of all the loads in 7.9. A shame I never got to more of mine for Willem. I added about 200 to the list, but never tackled the larger codes, like Polte, etc., due to lack of time.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]Dutch - I should have turned back one more page in my print out. I never noticed those improved cases (S*) among the “S” marked cases that early.
thanks for pointing them out. I have nothing that early in my own collection. I think my earliest S* Polte case is in the mid-teens - Lot 18 of 1926 comes to mind. I guess they have stopped updating the German Group’s list of all the loads in 7.9. A shame I never got to more of mine for Willem. I added about 200 to the list, but never tackled the larger codes, like Polte, etc., due to lack of time.[/quote]

John

The S* you can also see on 7.92x33 Kurz.
I have a brass case with the HS hla S* 1 45 in my collection.