German military issue 7,62x51

I wonder if ‘those who know’ could help me out with this one?

How was German made 7,62x51 for use with their G1 and G3 rifles packed? What was the smallest box? Was it ever issued bandoliered? What was the standard bulk package and how was this presented within the container? Did the packaging vary over time and was there any difference between ammunition meant for the G1 and that for the G3?

Happy collecting. Peter

Peter, the smallest box was for 20 rounds. There was no difference between rounds for the G1 (FN FAL) and the G3. Some variations of boxes you can see below. The one with “NUR FUER NG” was for MG blanks and the one with red printing was precision cartridges which still had the regular ball designation (I can not tell why or what for - I just happen to have these empty boxes since they would have been thrown away otherwise)
The FN box still has “SEY” stamped clips inside and was one of the early inported ones fom 1959. I have never seen bandoliers but that does not mean much.
I am not into this all and tried to help as far as possible - excuse my mistakes if there are any.

Peter

I have a lot of different German 7,62x51 boxes used at the G1 and G3.
I have also both weapens .

The only box I have and who say’s (NUR F

Peter

different German 7,62x51 bulk package…
1000 cartridges a wooden box
Leuchtsp

and a box with 50 dummy rounds made by Huck Germany

Nice rifles Gyrojet, is the G3 still capable of full-auto firing? What about the G1, did Germany use a full-auto version of the FAL design?

Hi Falcon

Yes both are capable for full-auto firing…

regards
gyrojet

EOD

So a Belgian company (FN) supplied ammunition to Germany in U.S. made clips. This is assuming that the SEY stamped clips are original to the box of course.

gravelbelly

[quote=“gravelbelly”][quote=“EOD”]
The FN box still has “SEY” stamped clips inside and was one of the early inported ones fom 1959. I have never seen bandoliers but that does not mean much.
[/quote]

EOD

So a Belgian company (FN) supplied ammunition to Germany in U.S. made clips. This is assuming that the SEY stamped clips are original to the box of course.

gravelbelly[/quote]

Gravelbelly, well, I have no clue… (as said).

[quote=“gyrojet”]and a box with 50 dummy rounds made by Huck Germany
[/quote]

According to the box these are no German Military dummies. These here were for the Police (Federal Border Guard / Federal Police).

[quote=“EOD”][quote=“gyrojet”]and a box with 50 dummy rounds made by Huck Germany
[/quote]

According to the box these are no German Military dummies. These here were for the Police (Federal Border Guard / Federal Police).[/quote]

EOD

Can you tell the year of production off these dummy rounds!

regards
gyrojet

Gyrojet, I wish I could, as you see the lot is not filled in and if the cartridges there have no head stamp (stamped ones are less common) it will be almost impossible since this cartridge was produced for decades. As said I am talking about things I know nothing about.

Thanks EOD

regards
gyrojet

Another nice 7,62x51 box with cartridge’s made out of 7,62x63 Garand cartridges

Here’s another German box, for blank cartridges, probably the olive drab plastic case type.

It seems that the primer type was changed while the batch was manufactured.

This box showed up in Spain, and somebody mistook the german cartridges for portuguese, and wrote that on the box.

Thank you very much for the replies to my question.

One thing that stands out is that all the boxes except one have been packed with loose cartridges. Not the most convenient way for troops or border police as the boxes are fairly bulky and the magazine has to be loaded with single rounds. The exception being FN made cartridges but using American made cartridge clips.

As always I’m amazed at how much information is out there and the willingness with which it is shared.

Happy collecting, Peter

found some more pict’s