German rifle grenade & various 7.92x57 blanks

Phil,
No, the cartridge is only post for the rare headstamp and is not allied with the label.
Further a original box for the cartridge you post.

Its difficult to clean the case its better to look for a better one like this.

451kr

Once you have one like this I seriously wonder if one should write with a marker on the painted areas.

451kr
Nice box and really nice cartridge. I am always looking but I’m not having much luck!! I only go to 2 shows a year, The one in Prescott, here in Arizona and of course St. Louis. Thanks for the posts.
Phil

eod,
It`s no problem when you use a pen that you can wipe with water.
451kr

Phil and “451” - I did not realize that the picture you posted of the grenade launching cartridge did not go with the box. I see that one could interpret your opening statement that way, but I missed it.

However, the good news is that the "triebpatrone f

There is also a cartridge known with on both ends a green lack but nobody knows where these used for .When any one knows more please let me know.

451kr.

Regarding the word Fallschirmleuchtgranate. What does leucht mean? Were paratroopers armed with a special kind of grenade? Great apologies for displaying my meagre knowledge of WWII German armament.

Vlad, “Fallschirmleuchtgranate” translates as “Parachute Light Grenade”. This presumably means an illuminating flare fitted with a parachute.

Thanks, Falcon. Is leucht light like in not heavy or light like in flame? Also, did not they use those flare pistols? Was every soldier equipped with these flares, i.e. were flares distributed with regular ammo, or given to particular chosen soldiers?

Leucht is light as in light as in flame. Tracer in the German language is Leuchtspur (Light trace). I’m not sure about the distribution/use of these flares.

“Light” as in “not heavy” is “leichte”, but “light” as in “illumination” is “leuchte”.

Her he is -:)

and a label for the "Gro

[quote=“pbutler”]451kr
Very interesting label!! Must have been a pretty heavy crate. I don’t have the book John mentions, do you have a picture of the rifle launched parachute flare and/or the launching cartridge?
Phil[/quote]

Phil,

This device (Gewehrgranatenger

Dutch,
These devices are special enough to require training of particular soldiers (i.e. not all soldiers) to modify rifles, learn and maintain devices and think continuously about ample supply of granaten. Do you know how this selection is made (for example, 2 trained soldiers per platoon, or every 10th soldier, or a special section of infantry which travelled to a zone which needed illumination)? I just read a bunch of German soldiers’ memoirs and, even though they mention flares being used, they never said who and how used them. Also, when a rifle was fit to fire granaten, could it still shoot regular ammo (i.e. could a soldier defend himself)?

I can’t speak for the German Army, but when I was in the U.S. Army, and took infantry training, we all had to learn the basics of firing rifle grenades - how to use the sight, how to hold the rifle (not on the shoulder!), etc. We fired two live grenades in training from a rifle provided on the firing range (our own M1s did not have the grenade launching sight screwed to the left side of the stock). I could be wrong - it has been a lot of years - but my impression is that it was usually the squad leader or asst. squad leader that had the rifle grenade launcher, and the sight on his rifle, in regular units. I ended up in the Weapsons Squad of a Rifle Platoon, as an assistant machine gunner, so I am not totally clear on that point. We didn’t have any, obviously. After training, I never fired a rifle grenade again, but then I wasn’t in the Infantry very long. Our basic armament was the Pistol M1911A1 for the gunner and asst. gunner, and M1 rifles for the ammo bearers. There were two M1919A6 Brownings in our squad, although some weapons squads had two 60mm Mortars or one MG and one Mortar. It probably was well regulated, but to a kid wet behind the ears, it seemed the weapon selection in weapons squads was pretty random; sort of “mix or match.”

Dutch
Thanks for posting those pictures, very interesting.
I have one question. Some time ago, you sent me a picture (which I just re-discovered in my files) of the various types of Teibpatronen. The one listed for the parachute flare grenade has a short wooden bullet. The one shown taped to the grenade in the post above looks like a different type. Am I seeing this correctly? Were the cartridges interchangeable?

Top -Treibpatrone neue Art f

Phil - I noticed that too. Makes me wonder if a correctly interpetated the note on these rounds in Micke’s work. That work was not a book, by the way, but an article in one of the annual Journals of the German Language Group of the ECRA, "Patronensammler-Vereinigung e.V., Sonderdruck Mitteilungsblatt 1987, pages 3 thru 11. There are four other good articles in the same publication.

The passage that I identified these grenade cartridges for the Parachute Flares read: "Die fogende Triebpatrone wurde f

John
Your descriptions match the information I received from Dutch. Hopefully Willem will be working close to home this week and can clear the matter up (and tell us what type treiber is taped to the grenade).
Phil

John,
The translation is correctly. SOWIE means "and also"
Both cartridges where used for the flare grenade.You have four colors of primer annulus of the cartridge without the wooden bullet, non-yellow-black-and red.
The last one was used for the flare,propaganda,nebel and blend grenade. That is mention by wilhelm Micke is his article Normaly the cartridges with the black annulus were used for the PANZER grenades and the cartridges with the yellow annulus were used for the SPRENG grenades.

451kr.

451 - Thank you. I am glad that my translation was basically correct. I have to use the dictionary a little, which I do when I want to translate something badly that I haven’t completely understood, but “sowie” was not in any of my German-English dictionaries. There is a lot I probably miss in a fine article like Micke’s, because I basically scan it with my eyes, and since I recognize most German ammunition terms, I get a quick meaning. However, I am sure I miss the fine points. Thanks for your explanation. I thought I had the German grenade launching cartridges “pinned down” pretty well, but I have learned a tremendous amount from this thread and thank all the contributors to it for that!