German Ruhrstahl AG SD-1400X Fritz-X glidebomb at NAS Oceana

I went back to NAS Oceana, maybe for the last time, for my daughter’s graduation. I could not take pictures of most things of interest due to high security. Here are a couple of shots at what is called “museum”, where photography is allowed. I thought that torpedo damage to the bottom of USS Liberty may be of interest to torpedo aficionados (you know who you are!) but it did not come out well (upper right corner). All exhibits are glassed with multiple angle lights, so avoiding reflection is almost impossible. My question is about the 1st photo. What is a bomb-looking thing in the lower right corner?

Believe the bomb is one of the early U.S. guided bombs. No time to look it up right now, but I am sure someone else already knows.

Congratulations to Airman SKSVLAD! And, her dad!

Deleted comment due to applicable picture being removed from post.

Congrats, BIG TIME! That is awesome news. Great post and photos also :-) Love the torpedo knowledge and history.

Jason
PS: Major Congrats Your Way!

The bomb pictured appears to be the German Ruhrstahl AG SD-1400X Fritz-X glidebomb used in variants throughout WWII. What looks like rocket motors are guidance flares. About 700 of these were used offensively by the Germans.

Deleted just because.

Last time I visited RAF Cosford, many years ago, they had examples of many of the WW2 German guided missiles on display, including Fritz-X. I see from their website ( rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford/col … Missiles=1 (click on the arrows top right to scroll through the pages)

The museum at the China Lake Naval Air Weapons Center in CA has one of our WW-2 BAT guided bombs on display. Can see why they were mostly a failure. Too many vacuum tubes to vibrate loose and bet during combat too much radio interference.
Gourd