German WW2 105MM GAS Shell

This is the text from a photo of a German shell from WW2. I cant find much info on the net on German gas shells of WW2. Does anyone have any info on German gas shells of WW2? I did not know they were used then.

ETO HQ 45 33880 24 APRIL
CREDIT … U S ARMY SIGNAL CORPS
PHOTOG…T/5 EDWARD BELFER 166
SERIES OF PIX (33880-33888)
ON ROAD BETWEEN GRAFENWOHR AND PECHOFEN, GERMANY, 26TH INF. DIVISION, 3RD U.S. ARMY, SEIZE AREA 2 1/2 MILES LONG BY 1/2 MILE WIDE WITH SEVERAL MILLION CHEMICAL MUNITIONS STORED HERE BY WERMACH. MUCH IS TOXIC GAS VARIETY IN ALL CALIBER AND SIZES. SOME IS SENT TO ARMY LABS IN REAR FOR IDENTIFICATION. SERIES OF PIX DEALS WITH DIFFERENT TYPES OF PROJECTILES AND MISCELLANOUS SHOTS IN AREA.
CLOSE UP OF 105 CHEMICAL SHELL STILL CRATED. THOUSANDS IN THIS AREA. (G)
26INF DIV. TUSA, NEAR PECHOFEN, GERMANY
NOTE: STAMPS ON THE BACK DATED 27 APR 1945 / PASSED FOR PUBLICATION

I don’t believe poison gas was used in the European theater during the second war, but the combatants had appropriate supplies so that in case the other side began using it retaliation could follow rapidly. You can google “the Bari disaster” for some related material. JG

Some where, I believe, I read that Hitler ordered the use of gas against the Soviets during the last days or hours of the Third Reich. Many newly developed and special weapons were controlled by Hitlers personal orders and kept off the battle field or used on a limited basis due to his fear that they would be copied and used against Germany. On the other hand, poison gas was restricted for political reasons and ultimately not used even after Hitler ordered it because the men that were to use it feared reprisals on themselves and their families. They either refused to issue the weapons or dragged their feet long enough to allow the Reich to collapse.

I cannot cite any sources at this moment, and I am just working from memory. I will try to correct this post or provide citations if I find a good source.

As nasty as gas is, it has not proven to be an effective weapon because it is at the mercy of wind and weather when used on the open battle field. It could be very effective in clearing buildings and fortifications. The “civilized” nations of the world abhored the use of poison gas on one another (but not so much on Ethiopians) due to the horrors of the First World War, but were prepared to use it if any other side resorted to it first in the Second World War.

Thanks for this info. I was surprised to see this photograph. I hope it gets figured out :-)

Jason