German WWII 7,9x57 box

I found this really beat-up box in my room. I shall not post box’s appearance because you’ll cry. Inside there were what I think un-connected rounds. Is this a white tracer box (or used to be)?

The ammunition in this box were of the type Patrone Spitzgeschoss mit Kern und Leuchtspur - Verbesserte (S.m.K.L’spur-v.)(Improved (high velocity) armor piercing tracer cartridges). They were white tracers, according to the "(weiß) marking on the label. The visual identification would have been a red primer seal; 10 mm black bullet tip; green band around the bullet below the black tip color. Length of the black portion of the tip don’t always meet the exact standard, in the case 10 mm.

The headstamp should be "hlb S* 1 43. The label indicates that the case, and all other components other than the powder and primer (Zdh. 88) were made, and the cartridges loaded by, Metallwarenfabrik Treuenbritzen G.m.b.H., Werk Selterhof, as lot number 1 of 1943. The primers, by the way, were made Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken A.-G., Karlsruhe i/Baden (code “faa”). I think the powder was made by Werk Moscwig, Deutsche Sprengchemie (code “mog”).

If the cartridges don’t meet that description, I would say they are not original to the box.

John Moss

2 Likes

it is, as John wrote an SMKL 100/600 v, means the Trace is limited from 100 to 600 Meters. This ammo has the white inert material above the Tracercompound, to limit the lenght of the trace.
Out of the box they are not to differentiate from a normal SMKL-v-

2 Likes

Perhaps you are interested at a similar label.

3 Likes

Unfortunately for me, this destroyed box is filled up with these. What are they? SCW?

DSCF3122

I have that rd in my Spanish Civil War collection. my example has no colored primer annulus.

1 Like

The base of the cartridge looks German to me.

Rgds

1 Like

Are you saying it is German made for Spanish Civil War or German made for some other purpose?

Could also be export to Portugal.

Rgds

1 Like

Would that be pre-WWII?

I think so.
The cartridges exported during WW2 had an “edq” head stamp.

Rgds

1 Like

I have two unmarked 7.9 m/m sS cartridges that look like Vlad’s round. One is Portuguese (note from friend who gave it to me, citing Portuguese label on box from which it was taken). The other is from a mixed batch of Spanish Civil War-associated 7.9 m/m another friend gave me decades earlier. Essentially every round in this second batch had a strong claim to having been in Spain during the civil war. Jack

1 Like