German WWII submarine U-505

Let me start by thanking Harrie for bringing this submarine’s existence to my attention, without him I’d never go to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, which is mostly a science learning place for pre-teens.
After the war the Navy did not know what to do with this thing and they wanted to use it as a live fire target and sink it (what a genius!!). The former captain of the task force which captured U-505, now an admiral and native of Chicago, saved the ship, and, voila!!
Photography is forbidden inside the sub and I put my own life and wellbeing of my entire family in jeopardy by taking these photos. I took photos without flash in a clandestine manner while moving, so many of them did not come out well.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-505

Great pict’s Vlad …

thanks
gyrojet

Incredible pictures! THANK YOU BIG TIME for posting these. The sectioned torpedo was spectacular and showed a fuze that I have never seen before. Great gyro pictures too! I have that gyro in my collection but have never seen one with that black box part attached. Just awesome! Thanks again!

Jason

On the 9-th picture are there torpedo tubes on the stern of the U-boat facing rearwards, or perhaps I’m wrong? Very interesting, thank you for sharing these!

Excellent pictures! Many thanks for posting. Man, that exhibit has changed in 40 years!

Iv4o, this is a Type IXC Uboat and it had 2 torpedo tubes in the rear of the boat. I believe the last interior picture is the one showing the after torpedo room, there is a large wheel shown between the two tube breech doors and there are bunks in the room.

This submarine carried 22 torpedoes but some were stored outside the pressure hull. They had to surface and bring them inside to use them.

Thank you, Shotmeister, very intersting info for me! And thanks again for posting these beautiful pictures!

The gyro is a GA VIII s " Specht" special made for the Zaunkoenig T V. torpedo. This torpedo was sensitive to noise of allied ships. The signals from the noise indicating nose electronic where delivered to this black box and the gyro was used as a steering machine, heading the torpedo to the noise.

No wonder youve never seen that fuze - it is no fuze - it is lifting hook on a training head filled with water. After the torpedo test run, air from the bottle pressed out the water and cause the torpedo to swim head up. There are smoke and lamps too and the red /white stripe head so you can find it better and pic it up at the pic up hook, set in the fuze pocket. The hook resembles the fuze G7a and the propeller didnt aim a fuze, but measured the range the torpedo was running.

Excellent information, Genkideskan! You definitely taught me a few things today. Much appreciated! It is so hard to find quality “Torpedo Gyro & Fuze” information.

Jason

I have a very good article on the capture of U-505 in a copy of American History Illustrated March/April 1994

If anyone is interested I will send them a scan PM me. After the war it was consigned for target practice and was only saved by an 11th hour intervention.

US torpedoes, such as the MK 14, used a similar “Exercise Head” which was filled with water, which was blown out at end-of-run. It had a dye pot and a strobe light (night time) to aid recovery.

Do you know what activated the air flask in the torpedo? Was it a certain distance, measured by the small propeller? (It appears the two may be connected by copper tubeing.)

Some great photos. I took photos of the inside in 1963 and will post them when I find them. The German sailor who fouled up and left the scuttle plug in the sub used to set up at various East coast gun shows. He was a friendly little fellow and sold signed photos, T-shirts,etc. Last I saw his widow at a show she said that he had died and that his urn had been placed in the 505. It was his job to open the scuttle hatch and throw the cap over board. He open it but left the cap there. When US troops got in they put it back on and kept the boat from sinking.

[quote=“APFSDS”]Incredible pictures! THANK YOU BIG TIME for posting these. The sectioned torpedo was spectacular and showed a fuze that I have never seen before. Great gyro pictures too! I have that gyro in my collection but have never seen one with that black box part attached. Just awesome! Thanks again!

Jason[/quote]

SEEMS LIKE A GOOD TIME TO KICK OFF THAT HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL TORPEDO THREAD AGAIN.

travelchannel.com/shows/myst … s-Win-WWII
An official add-on to my U-505 post, a great video, done professionally, without “Photography is strictly forbidden inside the submarine”. I actually got caught by one of the employees, I just hid the camera and mumbled something in reply.

Vlad - if you get caught again, just speak to them in Russian or one of the other languages you speak well, and then say “English no speak” or something like that to them. :-)

Great photographs! I visited the Museum in 1994 (during a Chicago Show). It looks like they have done much more to improve the display since then. Notwithstanding U-505, the Chicago museum is a wonderful facility, they should be congratulated.

1994 was also the year of my first visit to the Chicago show .
I have also visited the submarine at that time outside , now inside and a nice display.

Harrie

Illegal pics? Spying? Court-martial, my dear Vlad! :)