Germans wanted

Living near Aberdeen proving grounds has had its benefits. One of these was knowing Col. Jarrett who was the soul of the foreign ordnance intelligence center and the real spark plug behind the museum there. I obtained many historical treasures from Col. Jarrett over the year before his untimely death.
One of these is a set of original artillery ammunition training posters which were recovered from Hillersleben proving ground. I had intend these to go into a display at the Smithsonian but the interest there is - well - 0 when it comes to ordnance. The aircraft ammo display which I designed and donated with help from Bill Woodin and others was the last detailed ordnance display which they will likely ever exhibit.

I have put this collection up on ebay (350262421684). If it does not sell for my price it is my desire to return it to a German museum. I have been in contact with the German Embassy and their interest is on the level with the Smithsonian. That is 0 .

I am looking for a German museum which actually cares about the history of German artillery and its ammunition.

Is there such a thing?

These are the sole Governmental institutions in Germany which would qualify for:

Official German Armed Forces Museum:

militaerhistorisches-museum. … rtal/a/mhm

Technical Study Collection of the German Army purchase department (also Museum):

bwb.org/portal/a/bwb/ueberun/dasbwb/wehrtec

I have some friends who are in good contact with both the Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung in Koblenz and the Dutch war museum in Arnhem.

The Dutch museum may be an interesting alternative, as they recently set up a very elaborate ammunition display. This is maintained (and the items provided) by a Dutch ECRA member.

My experience with the German government is that they have little or no interest in their pre-1945 heritage. They are still trying to come to terms with these black pages in their history and they understandingly show no interest in nazi-era memorabelia.

I would not say that since I dealt with them a lot.

[quote=“EOD”]These are the sole Governmental institutions in Germany which would qualify for:

Official German Armed Forces Museum:

militaerhistorisches-museum. … rtal/a/mhm

Technical Study Collection of the German Army purchase department (also Museum):

bwb.org/portal/a/bwb/ueberun/dasbwb/wehrtec[/quote]

Thank you. I need a museum with a US agent. Most of these would not stand shipment without being handled by a professional paper restorer. They have to be picked up in the Wash DC area. Glad to donate but I am not spending money to give things away.

CSAEOD,

since both institutions seem to belong to Bundeswehr in a way it might be an idea to contact the embassy’s military attaché. He should have offices in WDC.

CSAEOD,

since both institutions seem to belong to Bundeswehr in a way it might be an idea to contact the embassy’s military attaché. He should have offices in WDC.[/quote]

Embassy not interested.

If any Dutch members have embassy contacts here in the US and would like to have these item for their museum. That would be fine. The Germans do not care.

I would have contacted the museums directly instead of the embassy, and let them arrange for.

If this material does not go to Germany what would be the point of shipping it to a third country?