Gevelot 12mm French Revolver Shot Board Dummy

I assume this 2-hole shot board dummy to be a Gevelot (SFM) 12 mm French revolver. The headstamp is rather crude and has a very deformed “12MM” impression. All the other GG 12mm French revolver cartridges I have are either inside primed or Berdan primed. What type of primer system is used here (some type of battery cup)?

Rim: 12.75mm
Base: 11.85mm
Lgt: 26.90mm

Most SFM board dummies I have seen have 4 or 5 holes. This one only has 2.
Any thought as to when this one was made?

Thanks
Paul

1 Like

Paul,

This appears to be the early Gaupillat primer which is quite common on the French 12mm and .450 Short C.F. rounds. This was the Gaupillat improvement on the original Pottet primer after Pottet had his patent cancelled. Note the re-entrant fold of the primer cup which partially covers the primer.

See French patent 112,325 (1876), SFM drawing 10027 (dated 1894) extract, and a sectioned .450 round.

Gaupillat 2 Gaupillat 1

Gaupillat 3

SFM board dummies, at least on the .450, appear with 2, 3, 4 or 5 holes in a variety of positions and diameters. I think the guys making them were paid on a hole-by-hole basis !!

Chris P.

2 Likes

Chris, whilst the primer does look like the Gaupillat Battery Cup, it could also be the similar Gevelot Battery Cup - see the slight difference below:

I guess one of the French members may be able to state which was more likely to be used after Gevelot & Gaupillat combined into SFM ? (Note the drawing appears to be dated 1889).

2 Likes

Brad,
Paul’s primer does appear to show the re-entrant fold in the primer cup that isn’t evident on the Gévelot one?

You could well be right Chris but without a sectioned eg I don’t believe we can be sure.

Paul asked when this was likely produced, here an example is shown in the SFM 1900 catalog:

1 Like

Chris and Brad, thanks for the replies.
My example does appear to have the re-entrant fold as shown in the Gaupillat primer drawing. I don’t see ever getting it sectioned so I guess I’ll never be 100% certain.

Paul

Hi, no sure this can help,
Hier, we have n° for draw corresponding with diverses calibers …

Bsrg, Dan

2 Likes

Hi, hier my alone draw about 12mm shoot from SFM .10086.
I know some old type of primer ( in powder alone) create problems with the rotation in revolver use, it’s possible SFM after sold the old storage retain only Berdan system … .
Really sorry for my bad practice of english language .
Bsrg, Dan

1 Like

Dan
Thanks for the drawing.

Paul

Paul,

It occurred to me that I should have shown images of the base of the .450 with the Gaupillat primer so you can compare it with the base of your 12mm.

Below are three variations of the Gaupillat primer I have found on .450 rounds, there may be more…

1. Gaupillat as per patent 90,713 (1870)

2 & 3. Gaupillat as per patent 112,325 (1876)

The identity of these was confirmed by a French member in 2014 when I was researching the evolution of primers on the .450.

There’s one I haven’t sectioned.…

GAU 01

Chris P.

1 Like

Drawning 10005 of the 1st quality 12 mm (dated 1894) also shows a Gaupillat primer (GG 12 M/M headstamp):

1 Like

Those sections are great Chris !

So almost certainly Gaupillat Battery Cup primed and it’s looking more like only the Gaupillat Battery cup (rather than the Gevelot type) was used after SFM was formed.

Paul, this would indicate that your example of 12mm Rev Shot should have been produced from c1891 (when the ‘GG’ monogram was taken over from Gosselin : Ref A. Leveau article) or c1894 (SFM drawing 10005 (Fede) and until c1901, when the Berdan primer was shown on that case type (SFM drawing 10086 from Dan).

2 Likes