Gevelot .303

Can anyone help, I belive this is a French manufactured headstamp. Is this a commercial or Military round, It has a CNCS Bullet with a Black neck seal “This I belive is a ball bullet” and a Black or very dark Purple primer seal.

thanks
RichardGevelot .303

Richard, For what it’s worth, mine says “A.P. for Air Service” on the cartridge. Also has the CNCS w/black ma, and ring crimped black pa primer.
Dan

I think they may have produced both. I have a different HS on what I guess is JSP reload, given the markings around the primer pocket.

Nice. That might not be a reload. Maybe someone needled out the corrosion, around the primer?
Dan

The GEVELOT .303 was made by Gévelot and dates from 1960, while the GEVELOT303 BR. ☆ was made by Norma in 1967 for Gévelot of Canada. Also, French case is Berdan primed and Swedish case is Boxer primed.

Regards,

Fede

2 Likes

Fede do you have any idea who the export contract was for, I have tried several different strenghts of magnet and I do think this may be AP but I would have to pull the bullet and drill into the core to see if it is.

many thanks
Richard.

Richard, I don’t know of any specific country associated with this headstamp and ball cartridge boxes are just labeled “Cartouches Cal. 7m/m7 (303) Type S” (CNCS bullet jacket). Apparently, it was a generic headstamp for commercial orders only.

Cartridges with the same specifications were made in 1962 for South Vietnam but using a QC-G headstamp.

Regards,

Fede

Do you know what the make up of a “TYPE S” bullet is please

thanks
Richard.

It is a regular ball loading with spitzer profile.

Many thanks, I can catalouge it correctly now

Richard.