Gevelot 38 S&W

Is it a blank or a shot? Shaking it produces no sound.

blank, if shot it would need room for the shot, and an over powder wad, under the shot.

Blank, these were quite common in Britain years ago because a lot of old school starting pistols were ex service .38 Enfields. Never saw Gevelot but the format is familiar. How times have changed. Can’t imagine it now.I think I’m showing my age.

My high school (2002-2007) had one of those pot metal revolvers that fired 6mm Flobert blanks. It had to be kept locked in a safe.

This will only really be of significance to Falcon who will be the only person who will know the location. My school sports days were held on Kings College Playing Fields in Ruislip. There was an old guy who used to turn up to start the races. He had a bright red blazer and cap. He was some sort of big wig official starter who went to all the big events nationally.
He had a .38 Enfield and a .455 Webley. I homed into him like a magnet and used to come home with loads of fired cases. He let me handle the guns, the first I had ever got my hands around. He was a nice old guy and very kind to a young tyro. I remember him with great affection

Vince - none of us getting younger. When I was in High School in the Mid-1950s, I was on the rifle team. Every Monday, right in the middle of San Francisco, I used to get on the Municiple bus with my school books and my rifle case with my 52 Winchester in it, and ride it to my High School. I had to walk four blocks with it to the school from the nearest bus stop. I then walked right into School with it, although had to turn it over to the ROTC Armory, which by the way, was full of real, read to shoot M1 Rifles and M1 Carbines, some pistols, some BARS, 1 60mm Mortar, one 3.5" Bazooka and one Browning 1919A4 LMG. The only ammo was .22 for the rifle teams, but again, none of the SAs were deactivated or even had the firing pins out.

Every Friday afternoon I reversed the trip and took my rifle home for the weekend.

Today, any phase of that trip to and from school would have a police SWAT team out looking for the bus and for me. Times change. The transporting of the rifle like that could only take place in Rural America today. Our range was a 50-foot smallbore range right on the school grounds, and we practiced after school three days a week or so, as I recall. We were issued Federal Monarch .22 ammo - ok for practice, but no good for competition. Looks of problems with rim thickness and it ended up out coach bought a rim-thickness gauge and every shell that had to be used in a match (for those of us who couldn’t afford to buy our own match ammo), was gauged and reboxed before the match. That happened after I had a squeeze-off discharge when I shut the bolt on my 52 a little fast (hard). We were safe gun handlers and the round went down range, but it was a match and the other team coach wanted me disqualified for an AD. Our coach emptied the rifle’s chamber of the fired case and saw there was no firing pin impression on it, and even then, the other coach wanted it to be my shot (a complete miss, of course). He lost the argument.

John
It seems like a million light years and several lifetimes ago. I worked most of my life for Kodak, my father worked for them as well. For many years I ran the rifle club there, I am still treasurer but it is a pale reflection on what it used to be.

For many years the company subsidised the ammunition because they wanted a rifle club and saw it as a social plus. During the war we had our own Home Guard detachment and the company built a range for them on the sports field. Its still there and until the late 1970s was licenced for .303 although we only ever used it for .22 because of the noise.

About five years ago some politically correct nerd in management tried very hard to get us closed down. He didn’t succeed but he came very close. Pure malice but it shows how times have changed.

When I first started shooting at the age of 11 every company had a club and a range. We are the only one left apart from BA at Heathrow who like us have survived against the odds.

2 towns away from me, in Pine Bush,NY, there still is a high school shooting team
outdoorliaisons.com/Pinehighschol.htm
As NY City people are settling around, this will change.