Glaser 7,62 x 39 mm

I found a bag with some cartridge of 7,62 x 39 mm type glaser, it is the same type of bullet than pistol cartridge?

why it is write safety slug?

The Glaser bullet has always been referred to as the “Safety Slug.” “Slug” is a slang word in English for “bullet.” It has to do with the properties of the bullet that give it very little penetration in soft tissue, translating to what some refer to as “over-penetration” that could, in rare instances, endanger some innocent person beyond the intended target.

It also refers to the bullets tendency to break up on hard targets, again eliminating over-penetration of wall-board, etc., if used for home defense, as well as a reduction in richochets should the cartridge be fired in, say, an urban situation (on the streets) and the target missed. Ideally, the bullet will not ricochet off of a stone building wall or a cement sidewalk and go on to hit an unintended target a block away.

While in my humble opinion this ammunition is not ideal for most self-defense situations, somewhat because of its lack of penetration, the claims for reduced ricochet and penetration of typical household construction features has some merit, and are evidently true claims.

Therefore, the lack of “over-penetration” and ricochet make this bullet safer to fire in some environments, and therefor, a “safety bullet.”

One can accept the claims for the bullet as theory or fact, and it doesn’t change the reason for the name.

someone have pictures and data about this cartridge?

The round are visbile in your photo, and the specs for the cartridge, along with others, are on the back on your package, or at least they are on the back of an identical package I have with .45 Auto ammo in it. I do not collect this caliber unless of East German Manufacture.

As John has said, these rounds are made to break apart on impact with anything, reducing the chances they will go on to strike an unintended target. They’re all basically put together the same way, with a gilding metal jacket that’s been filled with compressed shot (the shot size differs according to the specific load), and then the jacket is sealed with a plug. Early Glasers used a plastic or synthetic flat “wad”-style plug, but current Glasers use a round ball to do the same thing. Because they swage the nose profile on after the ball has been added, the rifle rounds usually have the ball visible down inside the jacket, while the pistol rounds still have part of the ball sticking out of the jacket. Here’s a pic showing a .45 Glaser next to a .38 Spl Short Stop round they made for sky marshalls at one point. (Because the Glaser started to fall apart as soon as the jacket was cut, I cemented it in with grey putty.)

very interesting as picture, for to explain the bullet it is the top!
many thanks

the ammunition for sky marshall are very similar at 38 special Sellier & Bellot no?

I believe that the “Short Stop” loadings were only produced by MBA, better known for their Gyro-Jet products, in San Ramon, California.

The “Glaser Safety Slugs” were first produced in Foster City, California, by Glaser Safety Slug, Inc.

As with John Moss, I also worked in the retail firearms and ammunition trade in the San Franciso Bay Area, though only on a part time bases. Both of these two companys were local and well known

Firstly, I am sorry the items in this picture are not all straight. I tried several scans and could not keep these items from rolling on the glass when I put down the lid. I simply couldn’t spend more time on it.

Frank - MBAssociates is not the only ones on made the short-stop types.
I have seen quite a few different .38 Specials along this line, and figured some of them were probably not MBA. However, I know that in at least 9mm Para and .45 Auto, some similar rounds were made in Germany.

They may even be patent rip-offs, I simply don’t know. Both of the loaded rounds pictured have Geco headstamps. Shown between the two calibers of loaded rounds is the bullet (hollow red plastic) at the top, the bag itself in the center, and what I guess is an over-powder wad of milky translucent plastic shown below. I got the live rounds, a 9mm Dummy Round identical to the live one but with no primer and powder, and the separate parts at one time. I have not personally disassembled a round, so I am not positive exactly how the bag went into the round. I am not sure it would fit in just the red plastic bullet, but it might if folded right. I can say that there is no provision for the white plastic plug to fit into the base of the projectile. They are both the same outer diameter at the base of the bullet, and there is no reduced edge to fit up into the hollow base of the bullet. As I think can be seen, the disassembled components are .45 caliber.

I do not know who actually loaded these rounds in Germany. If anyone does, I would appreciate as much information about them as is available. thank you.

John Moss

Thanks John, for the additional info on the short stop rounds. I was unaware of an other producer of these. If it is possible for “SDC” to provide the H/S
on the .38spl in the picture, this may help to ID if it is a US or a foreign
product.

I have now in my collection 5 examples of this ammo.
From left to right Mesko white, Mesko yellow, Mesko blue, S&B red and S&W red (this is a .38 S&W special +P).

Mesko white has a V1,5 of 250 m/s, has no cannelure and is called

Very interesting, Jones; I haven’t seen any “Short Stop” loadings in any calibres other than 38 Spl before; I have to wonder if these would function in a semi-auto? The rounds I posted are headstamped “W Super W 38 SPL +P”, and all the “bags” I’ve seen in these are folded the same way, in sort of a “S” shape, then pushed into the nose-cap, then the whole thing inserted into the case.

Some more examples of so-called “beanbag” non-lethal loads from my collection. From left to right they are: 9 x 18mm Makarovs - Bulgarian, CWS Case, headstamp: 10 91; Bulgarian, CWS Case, headstamp: 10 92, showing a little “cleaner” bullet molding (we also have an identical one headstamped 10 96); Russian (Possibly loaded in Bulgaria), LS case, headstamp: 9mm Makarov TCW; 9mm Parabellum - Bulgarian, CWS case, headstamp: 10 98 9x18; Hungarian, Brass Case, headstamp: MFS 9 x 19 with added stamp “OJ” which can appear on any part of the headstamp. On this last Hungarian round, we are assuming from the projectile shape and the weight of the cartridge that it is of the bean-bag type. We have had no opportunity to x-ray it, and will not disassemble it, since it is a single specimen. Perhaps Lew Curtis or someone else can confirm if it is a “beanbag” round. We know it is a short range cartridge of some type.

There are probably many more examples of this type of ammunition, but I believe the point has been made that they were not just loaded by MBAssociates, of San Ramon, California. Their rounds do, however, seem to have appeared before any other application of this principle to small-caliber ammunition.

Regarding function in automatic weapons, we have not had the opportunity to fire one, since all are singles in the collection. However, it is not entirely necessary that short-range, non-lethal ammunition like this function a semi-automatic or full-automatic weapon. The weapon can be cycled by hand. The ogive and sturdiness of the bullets is such that they can feed from the magazine of most handguns, and it can be assumed that these rounds would not be used to counter a threat from an opponent armed with a firearm. To me, that would be sheer madness, since there is not guarantee of any non-lethal round immediately stopping a confrontation, just as there is not guarantee that a non-lethal round won’t kill an opponent, given special circumstances (a bullet through an eye, a person succumbing to the shock of being shot, etc. Shock - we are talking about the nervous system and victim psychology here, not the impact of the bullet hitting - is a major killer on the battlefield, causing many deaths from wounds that were totally survivable).

By the way, again we say that the opinions expressed here are those of John Moss, and not our dear friend Joe Jones, who posts these pictures for this computer-illiterate collector. I say this because I don’t want him held responsible if I make some huge error.

John Moss

Sorry, double entry.

Jones

I forgot to mention in my last posting with the Bulgarian rounds (and a Hungarian one also), that a great source of information on Bulgarian ammunition is the monograph “Bulgarian Military Cartridge Review, 1876-Present” (published in 1998), by John Munnery. Until John began working and living in Bulgaria, very little in-depth information was available about their ammunition, and there was some misinformation around to boot. Anyone interested in European military ammunition needs this title.