Glaser silver safety slug

hello
I found a box of cartridge Glaser prefragmented in 9 x 19 mm .
I never saw this type of cartridge in Europe someone can tell me more please.

[/img]

The package pretty much says it all. It is one of the many “magic” bullets that people tout for self-defense. It is based on what they call a pre-fragmented core, in this case, lead shot contained in a normal HP bullet jacket topped with a synthetic-material tip to keep the shot in. The idea is quick, massive expansion. Some would say that is exactly what you don’t need in a self-defense cartridge, but that is another story and argument.

These have been sold in the United States for decades, and is one of the few of the wonder-bullet cartridges to survive for very long. The firm got its best exposure under the son of the original founder. He set up offices in Foster City, California, with a small factory set up at another location in the San Francisco Bay Area of California. Foster City is also in the Bay Area.
Not so long ago, the firm was sold to Cor-Bon, who now produces this ammo, still under the Glaser Safety Slug name.

There have been several unauthorized copies of the bullet, including one in Southern Africa. On one occasion at least, even the name Glaser was “ripped off” but spelled “Glazer.”

All this is off the top of my head. This was a local company for me, since I live in the San Francisco Region. I knew the owner, Kurt Canon, very well, and on occasion, when he run too low with delays in supplies, our store supplied him with primers. He is a very nice chap, and very accomodating. I miss seeing him since I retired and the firm was sold. His father, Jack Canon, started the business, in Texas I believe. The quality of the projectiles improved markedly under Kurt’s direction. Original rounds had a pink filling at the top. Production over the last many, many years have had firstly a blue tip, and then a second loading with silver-color tip. The blue-tipped rounds are loaded with number 12 shot, while the newer “Glaser Silver” is loaded with larger number 6 shot to improve penetration for those that feel that is desireable or needed.

These loads were offered in many pistol calibers and some rifle calibers as well.

If you need any other technical information on a specific caliber, let me know. I have some catalogs and a fairly good file on this company. The above covers the high points, anyway.

I have not seen the packaging you pictured. the art work is very different.
It would be nice to see the back label as well, that has much of the important information on it, such as company name and address. I am assuming this is brand new packaging, in which case it probably should bear the Cor-Bon name on it somewhere. Perhaps you could post a photo of the back label?

John–I did not know the the different tips meant different shot sizes. That is good information. I have White Tip, Pink Tip and Blue Tip Glasers. I have not seen the silver tip before. I think the white tip was the first, not the pink, or at least the white tip were the first ones I saw back in the late 70’s or early 80’s… I could be wrong that the white was first. So, if the blue tip has #12 shot, what is the differences in the white and pink tip rounds.

Here is a scan for the Blue Tip loads from about 1985. It lists the calibers available at that time.

Ron - I think you are right about the white tip. I forgot about it. My office is upstairs from my gun room, and frankly, sometimes I just don’t feel like running up and down the stairs another time. I should have. I have a fair collection of Glasers.

It is only when you get into the blue and silver tips that they indicate a different loading, I think. I am not sure about the pink ones, except that they were of very sketchy quality. I had a full, fifty-round box of them Kurt gave me, made by his dad. I found out why they were still laying around his office. Not one round would feed from the magazine of my Browning HP, which feeds just about anything and everything, into the chamber. I ended up keeping one round in my collection, one in the box, and dumping the other 48 rounds. I no longer wanted to attempt to shoot them.

Thanks for the back label picture. It will be helpful to some. Actually, I have dozens of these plastic “stand-up” containers in my box collection, but none of the art work from the one submitted originally on this thread. I wanted, mainly, to see if that was produced recently under the Cor-Bon name, or if it was some old one I just never saw.

Thanks for the “catch” on the “white and pink” error. I am almost sure I have a white one in my own collection, and that I reckoned it to be first also. I have not looked at this specific grouping of rounds in ages, and forgot about it.

Don’t forget the rare Black Tip Glaser. These were reportedly able to penetrate soft body armor before fragmenting.

I don’t think I know of a anti body armour Glasser…and I believe I have several with the dark gray/black tips. (just have never seen anything to document that “truth”). The pink have been described as pencil eraser material

I didn’t forget the black tipped ones. I chose not to mention them. Glaser Co. was not interested in publicizing them to non-LE and sold them to police only. I once years ago promised Kurt that I wouldn’t spread around information about them. I have never been released from that promise.

please it is possible to have pictures with more size about this type of cartridge
it is possible today to buy this type of ammunition because I have a friend who collect 9 mm para and I will go to USA in january.
thanks