Globus cruciger on 7.92x57 h/s (Czech)

What is this “globus cruciger” symbol?

Czech headstamp, 1949 ammo, 7,9mm, Brass case, single Flash hole berdan case. The Globus mark indicates the factory. (There were only two 7,9mm plants left in the CSSR after WW II, Vlasim (S&B) and Povaske Strojarne (PS) I can’t remember which symbol applies to which plant.

This abstract coding began in 1948, when the Communists took power, and lasted till 1951, when the new “letter code” headstamp system came into use, in 1952.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

Actually, these symbols replaced the factory letters PS and Z in 1949, not 1948. There was some overlap from the earlier headstamp - I have a high presurre proof 7.9 x 57 with headstamp PS and “TLAK” dating from 1950. The Globus cruciger symbol was used by Povazska Strojarne, Narodni Podnik.
Some of the symbols were used until at least mid-1951 (I have rounds in my collection), so there was overlap at that end of production also, with the letter codes that replaced them (“bxn” and “aym”). Also used by PS was a cross made up of 4-joined little circles and “X.” Used by Zbrojovka Vlasim, Narodni Podnik was an “O”, a diamond-figure, and a triangle-figure. “Narodni Podnik,” by the way, is communist terminolgy meaning something like “People’s Cooperative. Some other non-typical headstamps fall into this period as well - probably foreign contracts. Also, the geometric symbols were used on at least 9mm Para and 7.62 x 25mm Tokarev as well as 7.9 x 57. Much of the ammunition with those symbols ended up in Israel. In that time span, Czechoslovakia ahd good relationships with Israel, unlike later, when the communist world turned against Israel. (Reference: The History of Small Arms Cartridge Manufacture in Czechsolovakia, Part III,” by Vladislav Badalik & tranlated into English by Professor Jiri T. Vojta.

Hi John,

This means this 7.92 Mauser, lacquered steel case, is made between 1945 and 1949.

Rgds,
Dutch

I have a fired 7.62x25 Case headstamped “6 49 [Triangle] *”. I found this at a range in Florida around Christmas 2005 while I was on holiday there.

Dutch - a very few of these showed up in Viet Nam. I have that one, as well as one with identical characteristics, but a psuedo-Romanian headstamp “PA.” I don’t know when they were made and I don’t even know who made them. The “tone” (color) of the bullet looks more “FN” to me than it does Czech. These things could have been made in the 1960s. I don’t think the use of “PS” alone proves any date, since it is purely, in my opinion, a spurious headstamp. When I place my PS and PA headstamped rounds together, you cannot tell the difference between the two. They both have the same buildup of lacquer around the case mouth, looking almost like a Brownish CMS, and both have the same primer cup, case finish, and “look” to the bullet. Oddly, the bunters used on the two are quite different. I would love it if someone could identify these, but they won’t be able to do it from just the “Factory” designators on the two rounds. Maybe later, if I have time, I will try to get my friend Joe to post a scan of the PA headstamp.