Glow ammo tracer stickers?

Has anybody else heard of, or used these little tracer stickers? The company is called “Glow Ammo”, and they make packs of these little things for different pistol calibers. It sounded silly at first, but their videos seem to show decent results (at relatively close range only I assume?):

The site is here: http://www.glowammo.com

Do these work by reflecting the light produced by the powder combustion back to the shooter?

I’m not sure, and the website does not elaborate on the chemistry. Since they are “cold” and since it seems like you’d need more than just a reflective sticker to generate the results they are showing in the videos, I am guessing that the stickers are some kind of super-charged 1/10th of a second worth of cyalume type glowing chemical that lights up the trail. They might work on a shock basis the same way the new Fiocchi cyalume shotshells do? Pounding one with some kind of hammer or whatever, or seeing if they react to heat would help answer it.

“Non-energetic Tracers.” Currently being reviewed by US DOD. Short duration glow, low visibility, particularly from angles other than directly behind, so less risk of revealing shooters position. As it doesn’t alter or degrade trajectory, doesn’t require a special projectile for the tracer, potential for every round to be a tracer, instead of every 5th. Presentation at the latest NDIA Small Arms Symposium this summer.

I was reading up some more on this and apparently the company specs say that the glow time is closer to 2 seconds, which about the duration of any pistol bullet flight at most. I also received an email back from the company and they were very professional and straight-forward with all Q&A.

Other than just for the fun of it (I’d like to try these myself) I can’t see much practical purpose beyond novelty value, especially at 20 cents per sticker. That’s far more than the total cost one of my .38 or .45 lead bullet reloads. Wonder if the trace can be seen in daylight or must they be used on a darkened range? Do they have a shelf life?

Their website says they are working on improving it so it can be seen in the daylight, but that at the presence, it can only be well seen at night or indoors.

I came across a decent video online where the shooter had a pulled .45acp bullet and showed how a bright flashlight can briefly illuminate the sticker on the base of the bullet. The “Glow Ammo” company is still around but seems to suffer from the typical sporadic supply problems for components (especially 9x19) that many producers suffer from these days.

A screen-grab image of the bullet base right after exposure to a flashlight:

If I am reading this right, it seems these must be applied to the base of the bullet, meaning practically speaking for the individual shooter they could only be used by a reloader, probably the shooter himself. Pulling bullets out of factory ammo just to apply these stickers, and then reseating the bullet, coupled with their “per unit” cost, would in my view make them very much less than proactical, especially since they can be seen only indoors or at night.

Other than cost, I guess my comment would not apply to their use by manufacturers, large or small, in the making of tracer ammunition, but I see very, very little practical use for a civilian shooter at any level.

Does anyone have a “click on” connection for the Symposium report from the Symposium mentioned earlier in the thread? These things usually show up on the internet for free down-loading. It would be interesting and perhaps quite informative to see it. I could not find it myself, but then I am am very poor at intiiating searches.I can’t find lots of things that others seem to find with ease.

John - They also sell loaded ammo, and they began doing this around one year after they began selling the stickers for loaders:

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12078

MidwayUSA, etc… have been selling it. It’s all reloaded brass as far as I have encountered

I first ran across these in 2011 and bought a 50rd box sold by the company. They were mixed (reloaded) cases. I pulled down a few and they all had the disk glued on the bottom of the bullet. The information at the time indicated that the chemical on the disk absorbed energy when inside the barrel and then released it as light once the bullet left the barrel to provide a day visible trace.

I lack a place to test them so have not tried them out to see how well they trace, particularly in daylight. Still a great idea and I am sure we will see other applications of this type of technology.

Cheers,
Lew