Golden cartridge anniversary

How many of you fellows (maybe some ladies,who knows) beside John Moss and I have been collecting ammo for 50 + years. We should have some kind of retirement plan by now.

I started in 1958, so 52 years for me.

Found my first “Minnie” 1947 which started me on the road to Ammo. collecting,
looks like 63yrs. for me
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM. USA. Ret.

Hello everyone.
With eleven years old, my father gave me the first round, now I have thirty-four years. Twenty-three years collecting, and with the same enthusiasm that this child of eleven.

I started by saving .22 LR shell casings from the 50’ rifle range under the school house in Massachusetts in, 1946. And, found empty shell cases in the pasture and woods next door.
I got serious about collecting a couple of years later and now my wife says that she better die before me because there is no way she can clean out the cellar !
M. Rea

I started collecting as a schoolboy in the mid-1950’s, still going strong.

gravelbelly

Very impressive statistics.

Bill Woodin and Don Amesburry were collecting during WW2 and I don’t know of anyone else alive who was.

I didn’t start until 1954 so I feel like a NEWBEE next to some of you guys.

Next year will be my 50th since I found my first .30-06 fired cases in a field in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Now my collection numbers over 48,500 including the rounds inside the boxes. How did it ever get so out of hand?

Dean

CONGRATULATIONS !

There is no end to it.

54 years. My first was a fired 7.92x57 case found on the playground of the Paris-American elementary school in 1956. Still have it.

Tom

I suppose at 36 years, I’m a relative newbie. The cartridge that got me collecting was a .56-50 Spencer thrown in with a Spencer carbine I bought in 1974 from an elderly collector named Al Winney in Jacksonville, Florida. He lived in a garage apartment and had a collection of hundreds of mostly military long arms that were set up against the walls side by side and completely lined the walls of the bedroom and living room. I let go of the carbine years ago, but do still have the cartridge.

26 years for me and I just turned 40, my father passed the bug on to me as he started his collecting in the 1940’s and is still going strong. We have a large collection though not great in any one area. Of late i have let my passion for european metrics slip ( too hard to find) and expanded the 22 packet collection well over 2000 now and loving it.

That is a lot of 22s. Does this include the same box but with differing internal markings ?

That is a real good start !

[quote=“hkp7m8”]54 years. My first was a fired 7.92x57 case found on the playground of the Paris-American elementary school in 1956. Still have it.

Tom[/quote]

In Paris France ?

My first was 1950 or 1951 (an 8 or 9 yro) a .50-70 Martin Primed, which I still have.

Here’s a pic of that very first empty case I found. It is still in the collection.

Look like a 30-03 headstamp. Are you sure about the measurements ?

(That is a lot of 22s. Does this include the same box but with differing internal markings ?)

For the most part they are unique, when the same box or may have been offered in several loadings it does not take long to have a fair few. It is a great hobbie as it displays well and often appeals to others who may not be a collector just from the volume of variety. It is also nice to be able to be collecting for so many years and still pick up new ones for relatively low cost, where i found other streams to get quite expensive.

I’m not in the same league as most of you. I didn’t start until about 1967. Here’s an old Polaroid photo that I came across the other day from about 1968-69. Don’t ask me to identify any of these as my memory is not that long. This collection was long ago abandoned and in 1980 I started collection .22 boxes because of an article I read in American Rifleman. I lost interest about 1983 and took it up again about 2 years ago after I was retired and looking for something interesting to do with my time. We now have something over 800 individual, unique boxes and several hundred in bricks and duplicates. Which still puts me in the junior collector category compared to some of you.