Golden cartridge anniversary

1964, Washington State, lived “out in the country”, and we had a garbage dump close by…(this was way before the days of landfills and transfer stations)…every weekend, I’d walk the couple of miles over there and began noticing there were lots of different empty cases lying around, (lots of local folks used the place as a shooting spot)…and started picking them up and carting them home…so 46 years for me…

Randy

[quote=“DrSchmittCSAEOD”][quote=“hkp7m8”]54 years. My first was a fired 7.92x57 case found on the playground of the Paris-American elementary school in 1956. Still have it.

Tom[/quote]

In Paris France ?[/quote]

Yes, there was ammo everywhere it seemed. The back yard of a friend’s house under construction yielded many live rifle-sized cartridges. My dad confiscated these and relegated them to the SHAPE incinerator.

Me (early-mid 1960’s)

…first rounds were either the empty .22 fired at Gramps farm (and then the subsequent ground pick-ups of the occasional 12 ga fired hull or .30-30 casing)…or the fond memories of Dad taking my brother & I on a 100 mile day trip to the Canal Street surplus shops of downtown Manhattan (NYC).
He and my older brother sought out the electronic surplus shops…me?..the “Army Surplus” shops fascinated me. (of course I didn’t go in them alone…I might have been pushing 10 y/o at the time)
(1965 ?)

I recall wooden kegs of “Lazy Dog” flechette/bomblets (weren’t they the coolest thing for a kid to play with and make believe “bomb” from toy planes ?) and kegs of blackened 20 & 30 mm projos. (and there were the drums of 50 BMG dummies) I recall five and dime prices and “3 for 25 cent” signs. Of course and being limited to one…maybe two items by Pop)

I didn’t keep the Lazy Dog(s) segregated away from others in my collection…these were easy to keep as such

Somewhere along the line I was given a Bazooka dummy and about the same ear my Pop came home from the Saturday garbage dump run with a spend 105 howitzer case. (How many times have I polished that darn thing?)

Funny how time flies and times change as I know I brought all but the 105 to grade school “show & tell” numerous times.

40+ years of fascination with brass & copper

I thought that many years ago, but it has the shorter 2.49" case length. It doesn’t look like it’s been trimmed.

[quote=“Pepper”]Me (early-mid 1960’s)

…first rounds were either the empty .22 fired at Gramps farm (and then the subsequent ground pick-ups of the occasional 12 ga fired hull or .30-30 casing)…or the fond memories of Dad taking my brother & I on a 100 mile day trip to the Canal Street surplus shops of downtown Manhattan (NYC).
He and my older brother sought out the electronic surplus shops…me?..the “Army Surplus” shops fascinated me. (of course I didn’t go in them alone…I might have been pushing 10 y/o at the time)
(1965 ?)

I recall wooden kegs of “Lazy Dog” flechette/bomblets (weren’t they the coolest thing for a kid to play with and make believe “bomb” from toy planes ?) and kegs of blackened 20 & 30 mm projos. (and there were the drums of 50 BMG dummies) I recall five and dime prices and “3 for 25 cent” signs. Of course and being limited to one…maybe two items by Pop)

I didn’t keep the Lazy Dog(s) segregated away from others in my collection…these were easy to keep as such

Somewhere along the line I was given a Bazooka dummy and about the same ear my Pop came home from the Saturday garbage dump run with a spend 105 howitzer case. (How many times have I polished that darn thing?)

Funny how time flies and times change as I know I brought all but the 105 to grade school “show & tell” numerous times.

40+ years of fascination with brass & copper[/quote]

Given that you are the PRESIDENT you can hang with us as an honorary.

[quote=“30army”]1964, Washington State, lived “out in the country”, and we had a garbage dump close by…(this was way before the days of landfills and transfer stations)…every weekend, I’d walk the couple of miles over there and began noticing there were lots of different empty cases lying around, (lots of local folks used the place as a shooting spot)…and started picking them up and carting them home…so 46 years for me…

Randy[/quote]

Not many of us “LIFERS” left so we will have to consider you serious company even shy of the wire.

wrong post

On the topic of .30-03 headstamps on '06 cases, the pinch-penny U.S. Army in the pre-Great War years did in fact shorten and reload '03 brass as '06 ball cartridges. I have such a one, with an 05 date (I think) that was found out west years ago. Jack

Do you see this as an 06 ?

Where is LEW ? I met him 40 years ago. I know he was in it before that !

Regarding the USC-produced case dated 1-06 my thought would be that it was in fact produced as a .30-03. It seems a lot of the '03 cases were left original length and used, with a heavy neck crimp, to produce M1906 blanks, but some were shortened and loaded (or reloaded) as M1906 ball cartridges. On the other hand, I’m not posing as an authority on the M1906 cartridge in all its numerous forms. Jack

IHMSA said he found the pictured case in Wyoming.

hkp7m8 found a 7.92x57 case in France. He did not post a photo.

Are you jerking my chain Doc? You know, that’s no longer permitted on the new and improved Professional IAA Forum. EDIT!!!

Ray

That case takes a .308 bullet properly.

I should have mentioned that when I found it, it was a fluted, tinned case with 3 case holes, and no bullet. Until now, I never even thought that was strange. What would a case like that with no bullet be doing out in a field where I found other fired 06 cases?

[quote=“RayMeketa”]IHMSA said he found the pictured case in Wyoming.

Are you jerking my chain Doc? You know, that’s no longer permitted on the new and improved Professional IAA Forum. EDIT!!!

Ray[/quote]

I tripped over your chain in the dark. Forgot my glasses.

[quote=“IHMSA80x80”]Here’s a pic of that very first empty case I found. It is still in the collection.
[/quote]

This is an 03 case made into a dummy . Many were made but few survive.

Perhaps it was loaded in a clip of live ammo to check to see if the shooter was flinching and got dropped with the fired cases.

[quote=“Jackwells”]Found my first “Minnie” 1947 which started me on the road to Ammo. collecting,
looks like 63yrs. for me
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM. USA. Ret.[/quote]

I know that Bill Woodin and Don Amesburry have been collecting at least 65 years but you are certainly up there with the DIAMOND ANNIVERSARY group.

I will make the corrections in my cartridge log. Thanks guys.

RayMeketa wrote:
IHMSA said he found the pictured case in Wyoming.

Ray

I’m new to the forum - If I did something wrong, my apologies.

Tom

Not at all Tom, just a little mix-up here. Everything is straightened out.