Got ROOK?

I don’t really collect cartridges like the ROOK but the article in JOURNAL #455 by John Pople-Crump caused me to pull out the three I do have. I have always assumed that I had them labeled correctly but now I’m not so sure.

The one on the left is headstamped KYNOCH 300 R&R which I think means ROOK & RABBIT. That’s how I have it labeled. But, it has the dimensions of the cartridge that Mr Pople-Crump calls simply the 300 ROOK.

In the center is a cartridge that I have labeled as a 30-25-150 ROOK but is obviously something else altogether. It is too long to be a ROOK and the bullet is too heavy (150 grains vs 110 grains).

On the right is what I believe is a conventional 300 SHERWOOD.

So, anybody know what I have here?

As a footnote, the JOURNAL article shows a a table from the early 1900s Kynoch Journal that shows the deflection due to a 20 mph side wind at 100 yards. The numbers looked odd to me so I ran them through a modern Ballistics Program and they are only about 1/3 of what they should be. Either a 20 mph wind wasn’t as strong back then or Kynoch has fudged their numbers to sell more cartridges.

Ray

btt

Aha! Could that center cartridge actually be a 32 Ballard XL ?? AKA the 32-25-150. The fellow I got it from must have mis-labeled it.

Ray

Ray–The bullet sure looks like Ballard.

Ray , I have a good collection of Rook Rifle cartridges including the harder to get ones, but nothing in the size displayed in your picture as ?? NHS.
But it certainly fits the 32 Ballard extra long, see photo of cartridge .
Headstamp is W.R.A.Co 32 EX. L. and case length fits perfectly.
Terry.

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]I don’t really collect cartridges like the ROOK but the article in JOURNAL #455 by John Pople-Crump caused me to pull out the three I do have. I have always assumed that I had them labeled correctly but now I’m not so sure.

The one on the left is headstamped KYNOCH 300 R&R which I think means ROOK & RABBIT. That’s how I have it labeled. But, it has the dimensions of the cartridge that Mr Pople-Crump calls simply the 300 ROOK.

In the center is a cartridge that I have labeled as a 30-25-150 ROOK but is obviously something else altogether. It is too long to be a ROOK and the bullet is too heavy (150 grains vs 110 grains).

On the right is what I believe is a conventional 300 SHERWOOD.

So, anybody know what I have here?

As a footnote, the JOURNAL article shows a a table from the early 1900s Kynoch Journal that shows the deflection due to a 20 mph side wind at 100 yards. The numbers looked odd to me so I ran them through a modern Ballistics Program and they are only about 1/3 of what they should be. Either a 20 mph wind wasn’t as strong back then or Kynoch has fudged their numbers to sell more cartridges.

Ray

[/quote]

Hi Ray
Could you please check the headstamp again for the round you have noted as “KYNOCH 300 R&R”. The Kynoch round in my collection is headstamped “300 R.R” which I believe means Rook Rifle. If yours does say R&R then I need to start looking for another!
Pete

Hey Pete, you can stop looking. I mis-typed. It is:

KYNOCH .300.R.R (the first “dot” is centered)

I think what may have misled me is W.W. Greener’s book THE GUN. On pages 670 and 671 he refers to Rook and Rabbit Rifles and Cartridges.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Ray