Got some great new cartridges for my collection!

All, please enjoy these photos of a new set of cartridges I just got from Pete de Coux! Since we are all locked in these days and can’t attend shows I’ve been ordering some cartridges by mail to keep the cartridge demon fed and satiated.

Alas! I didn’t check the COAL’s for some of the old British big game African cartridges before I built my display and made the assumption that 4" would be adequate. But we all know what that makes me. Some of these are monsters and to my consternation I discovered I’m going to have to make some post-production adjustments if I want them to fit!
Joel

5 Likes

Joel, very nice! The cannelure in the .577 NE bullet makes it look like it might be a Westley Richards capped bullet.

I like how you have the display arranged by the original developer of each cartridge. The gold font on the black background looks really good too!

I agree with Larry. Here’s a .425 WR but imagine the construction is the same in the .577.

Paul

2 Likes

These are the boxes for these WR .577 and .425 N, RN, WR Capped projectiles.
They compliment this posting for added interest.

1 Like

Yes Westley’s capped bullet. Found in 6.5mm up to .577 & it is also known as the L.T. caped bullet as managing director Leslie Taylor invented them. And the same design is found in Westley’s Explora brand Paradox loads. One variation has a lead cap, and wasn’t apparently very successful as they are very scarce, almost rare.

So I don’t have the .577 Nitro as being designed by Westley Richards. Is that incorrect? See below picture for the cartridges I have that were designed by Richards. Is the box you show just a load manufactured by Westley Richards? My research shows the .577 Nitro is a derivative of the .577 Black Powder Express developed in the 1870’s. However, I wasn’t able to uncover who was the original designer of the cartridge and who originally manufactured it.

hello
i see your “presentoires”
very good job but apparently some cartridges are very long !!!

The .577 I sold you is an early (note the two “C”'s standing for Cordite) Nitro Express & it could have had any number of bullets loaded into it by any number of makers, or retailers who wanted it loaded to their specs, and packaged into their boxes. This one was loaded for Westley’s with their L.T. designed capped bullet. (A better than average bullet variation & It think others will support me in this evaluation)
In Britain these were basically only two (large) ammunition makers Eley & Kynoch. So if perhaps Holland & Holland, or John Wilkes or another gun maker wanted .577 3" NE made, they bought it from one or the other companies. And depending on how much they wanted to pay, it could have their headstamp, packaging and loading’s, or any combination there-of or perhaps just off the shelf & they could stick an over label on it. (see below) or sell as is. As far as I’m aware Westley Richards was the only gun maker to actually manufacture their own ‘modern’ ammunition. However that was very early in the BP era just out of the paper cartridge / combustible era and only for a short time. As to who actually designed the .577? It is known with Boxer cases in several case lengths, and of course there is the Snider, which started it.

2 Likes

Mentioned the lead capped, capped L.T. bullet above, here is an old newspaper clipping Jim B. just sent me identifying it as the Mark !.

1 Like