Grease-Wafers in 19th Century Metallic Cartriges

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know of any evidence for the use of Wax impregnated Felt or Fabric Wafers/Wads/Disks, under the Bullet, atop the Power, occuring in 19th Century Factory produced Metallic Cartridges?

2ndly

Does anyone know of any ‘Duplex’ Loadings having been made Commercially, in the latter 19th, or early 20th Centuries?

I’m not absolutely sure right now, but I think that the 11 x 57R Spanish Remington Reformado (brass jacketed bullet) had a waxed felt wad separating the bullet from the powder. The official name for this round was Model 1871/89, and was a modification of the 11 x 57R Spanish Remington (lead bullet). Maybe this model 1871 lead bulleted cartridge had a wad too.

The Reformado round was initially loaded with black powder, but late production (it was made until 1921) was loaded with smokeless powder (the 7 mm Spanish Mauser was in service since 1893).

Union Metallic Cartridge Co. routinely used a wad over the powder and under the bullet in many of the cartridges they made in the 19th century…most notably in the loadings with paper patched bullet…

One of the earliest of the duplex loads was the Scott Patent .30 Krag, loaded with two or three bullets and various case lengths and configurations, but this was not adopted by the US Army and to my knowledge was never produced commercially…

Randy

The Scott patent was applied to .303 cartridges as well, and perhaps others, although I only know for sure about the .303, because I had one (an empty, altered case) when I was collecting that caliber.

John Moss