Greek 7.92x36

In the scan there is V50 520 m.sec, which I understad as velocity of 520 mps measured at 50m from the muzzle.

What could be a muzzle (initial) velocity then? Its value would be necessary to compute the initial energy of the bullet.

Does anybody have info on that?

Best regards,
Piotr

The v0 would be 570 m/s.

Based on the following:
The German assault rifle bullet (nominally 7.9 mm and 8 g) firing table says:
v100 576 m/s
v200 479 m/s
Assuming the Greek bullet having identical ballistics, a v0 of 570 m/s results for a v50 of 520 m/s.
This is plausible considering the reduced propellant weight of the Greek cartridge (1.2 g) compared to 1.54 g (and v0 685 m/s).

Just got these pics of the rare 7.92x36 from the Woodin Lab, via John Moss. Wish it was mine!

Jonny and John, nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

The pictures were taken initially by a European visiting the Woodin Lab, and then put into Bill Woodin’s file, or at least that is what I recall be told when I procured the photo for the Greek MIlitary Museum. I enhanced it somewhat, but it was a very decent photo as taken.

I just didn’t want people to think I was taking credit for this photo. I forget who it was who actually took it originally, but he is due thanks, along with Bill and the Lab.

The English language copy of the monograph on the Greek Powder and Cartridge Co Ltd 1874-1939 sounds like it would be a good addition to the Catalogs Project on the IAA Homepage that I am working on. Could someone send me a 300dpi Color PDF scan of the monograph, or at least of the Ammunition section. Or could someone loan me their copy so I could scan it?

Ron - The “Monograph” on the Greek Powder and Cartridge Company, 1874-1939, is actually a hard-cover book of 194 pages. I admittedly have it, but it is a rare and valuable book and I would not be able to lend it out, nor do I have the time to scan it.