Greek Cartridges 1930-41

Tthe Greek armed forces in the interwar and early ww2 period used 7.92x57 ammo for the following machine guns: Skoda LK 32 and FN Browning 32 (as a matter of fact a FN model 30, but, as the usual practice, locally renamed in accordance to the year of acquisition) and .303 for Browning MkIIs
I am looking for details of the types of such ammos available to the Greek airforce in this period.
The presentation book of the Greek Powder and Cartridge Company, published in 1939/1940 mentions for the Mauser ammo the following types: Ball, AP, AP-T, Tracer, and incendiary - were they identical to the German sS or SmE, SmK, Smk L’spur, SmE l’spur, PmK ? I’d be grateful if someone give details on teh weight fo these Greek bullets and their initial velocity.
Same thing for the .303 delivered to Greece (or produced in Greece) during this period - which kind of cartridges/bullets were present?

BTW you can enjoy the monograph “Greek Powder and Cartridge Company, 1874-1939” online at the following address: https://digital.wolfsonian.org/WOLF037607/00001/1j

1 Like

i have this monograph as hardcopy, but handy to have an online version too.
Lots of interesting items, seems they were manufacturing for both sides for a while.

Their “intimate” relationship with Rheinmetall is a story by itself - from selling arms (Greek AND german produced) to both sides during the Spanish Civil War to arms deals in the Balkans upon which we still have very scarce and incomplete information . I have been tracking the origin “American bombs” used by the Romanian airforce in 1941-42 and they seem to be in fact the M series clones produced by the Greek Cartridge and Powder Company, and not, as previously thought, bought in the US through the intermediary of AAC (also very active in the Balkans during the late interwar period) - whether they came directly from this company or as part of the Greek equipment included in the German booty bought by Romania in 1941 is still under debate (most of these German booty acquisitions by Romania were Polish made stuff).

7.92 x 57mm, Source- Internet

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/7-92x57-mauser-pc-headstamp-id/622

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/greek-7-9mm-hotchkiss/9292/15

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/greek-7-9mm-pch-headstamp/7217

There is a need to separate two productions of 7.92x57 by the “Greek Cartridge and Powder Co” (“CH Cartoucherie et Poudrerie Hellenique”) - the Pre-1939 production for Greece and other countries - mainly Spain (Both sides!!!) rather than Balkan countries, and the 1939-40 production for the British (The PCH 40 stamp) .
There are 7.92mm examples from 1937 labelled “CH Cartoucherie et Poudrerie Hellenique” including:
Bullets “S” (154grain) and "sS: ( 198 grain) most probably aimed at the Spanish market.
The box in this picture is labelled in Greek and dated 1936, so most probably this is a production for the Greek army. The label says 30 welded cartridges, of Rifle type 7.92, Fabrication 1936.

1 Like

Is this monograph available as a downloadable PDF?

Brian

No but one can download each page of this monograph as a jpg file and them it’s not a problem to compile a pdf from these pictures, ity’s just a question of patience. I downloaded my self p142 to 172 (cartridges chapter) and 181 to 187 (bombs chapter)

1 Like

Dreamk, Great topic. I was lucky enough to buy a copy of this monograph years ago.

I have only one bit of information to contribute. In 1976, I toured the Greek Powder & Cartridge Company in Athens. The director was a retired Army General and was very helpful. He and a another individual who had worked there since before WWII. They told me that when the Germans occupied the facility, the equipment was put into storage and the buildings were used for vehicle repair. After WWII the facility began making ammo again, but I don’t recall when. My primary interest was to learn when the Greek headstamped 9x19mm rounds were made. He walked me down to two machines. One was making 45ACP cases and the other 45 bullets.He spoke to the operator who I’d guess was in his late 50s or early 60s. He had been working the two machines since he came to work at the factory. Before WWII he made 9x19mm cases and bullets on the machines but after WWII they only made 45ACP, but these machines were the original ones from when he came to work before WWII.

I also toured the other active production lines and they were active making all the standard NATO calibers, except 9x19mm. I got there at 0800 and left about 1330. I wish I had made detain notes that evening, but I was in my mid-30s and convinced I wouldn’t forget anything.

Probably common knowledge,

Where would the company have been producing bombs. The factory was in a fairly built up area as I remember, not one where they would make bombs.

Cheerss,
Lew

Lew,

From the 1939 monograph which lists 3 “plants”, two outside of Athens, highlighted in blue:

G2f%2Ca