Green Tip Remington Rocket

Hello
I have 2 Remington “Rocket” cartridges that have a green tip. My full box does not. Is this something that was done after they were made or were some marked that way? The green tip cartridges came to me from different sources but they may have been together earlier. Thanks for your help.
Bob

1 Like

Bob

Does the green tip have a “U” or “U Hi Speed” headstamp?

Paul

Hi Paul
It has HI
U
SPEED
and a bullet that is attracted to a magnet.
Bob

Bob,

I have a similar cartridge. It was presented to me as a high speed experimental. At least that was what I was told. I have no facts or information to back that up. I would also be curious to find out a little more about it.

Paul

I’ve always had an interest in the “Chicklet” packs of the Remington “Rocket” and Peters “Thunderbolt” .22 Shorts as they were two of the first packaged items I acquired (at about shooting price!)

Looking at available Remington catalogues, these seem to be listed from 1955 to 1962. The loading was a 15 gr. Composition projectile with a special “Q-99” ingredient at 1710 FPS. There was also a “New and Improved” version of the 29 gr. “Spatter Less” with a 15 gr. “Special Composition” projectile also listed at 1710 FPS that first shows up in 1951 and is listed up to 1980. The Peters version of this was the “Krumble Ball” also from 1951.

While I hope someone knows the real story here, could the green tipped items be developmental “Q-99” loads? I also have to wonder if the “Rocket” and “Thunderbolt” loadings were just the “New and Improved” Gallery products in neat new packages…

Dave

Dave and Paul
Thanks for the reply’s.
I’m not sure what we have but its nice to know someone else has the same cartridge.
I don’t think any of the gallery loads had a bullet made of iron but I’m not sure.
Bob

Bob,

Remington made a 22 short gallery load with a 15 gr iron composite bullet. It has a “U” headstamp.rem galley rem gallery side

They also produced 22 gallery iron composite rounds with the “U HI Speed” head stamps and also with nickel plated cases…

Paul

Hi Paul
Thanks for the correction.
Now I have 2 more to look for.
The search goes on.
Bob

The Peter’s Krumble Ball and the Thunderbolt also had composite iron bullets.
I have one with the green tip hs Hi U Speed, & have it cataloged as a prototype Rocket Gallery round. Also one with a Peters HV hs & a blue colored tip cataloged as a prototype Thunderbolt Gallery round.
Both with the composite iron bullets

Bob while your looking here are a few more:
Peters HV rounds nickel and brass.
peters HV profile peters hv hs

Brass and Nickel U HI SPEED
u hi speed profle
u hi speed hs

Also a blackened and brass dummy rounds and a loaded large “U” headstamp

Paul

Thank you Pete and Paul for the added information and the great photos.
It looks like I have more then 2 to look for.
Paul, are the nickel cased cartridges also “Rockets” and “Thunderbolts” or are they something else?
I see almost all of these have a cannelured case and, or a heavy knurled crimp.
Is this for identification ?
I have also found a “Western” blackened dummy with a very close copy of the same bullet. It is also magnetic.

Thanks again
Bob

Bob,

I’m only aware of “Rockets” and “Thunderbolts” with brass cases. The nickel cases are Gallery rounds.

I also have that Western blackened case dummy. I have it listed as Gallery. Both Western and Winchester manufactured composite iron gallery cartridges.

For whatever it’s worth this bullet is also found with cattle killer “H” headstamped rounds with brass cases, but in .22 LONG.

I believe this iron bullet was also used in a 22 short brass " NUM-RITE".cattle killer with a H headstamp. I’m not sure how to tell the difference between these and a gallery loads once out of the box.

There are also 22 Long cattle killers with both brass and copper cases and “U” headstamp that use this same bullet.

The neatest iron composite bullet is this 22 short with an “H” headstamp and extra long bullet.

I assume its also some type of cattle killer but have no information on it.

Paul

Very interesting Paul & a new one to me. perhaps it is a CK, as W-W Num-Rite offered four case types. Here is a now empty sample box.

&

I found this in “The 22 Box Identification Guide”
“22 Short (Experimental) A white and red label has been added to a production
Hi-Speed box. The label reads “Dark Green”. This is one of the experiments in the development of the ROCKETS. Dark green tip on a sintered iron bullet.
Light green bullets are also Known.”
It looks like Remington Spatter-Less, Peters Krumble Ball, Western Kant-Splash,
Winchester Spatter Proof and Spatter Pruf have 29gr. lead bullets and Remington
Rocket, Remington New & Improved Spatter-Less, Peters Thunderbolt, Peters New &
Improved Krumble Ball, Western Super Kant-Splash and Winchester Super Spatter
Pruf have 15gr. iron bullets. Maybe the nickel cases go with the New and Improved and the Super cartridges. I’m not sure.
Bob

After looking back through Paul’s earlier post on this topic I have to change my mind.
He shows a Remington box marked Spatter-Less (no “New & Improved”) with a 15gr. Bullett.

Bob,

Looking through the Remington price lists and catalogues, the 15 gr. composition bullet load, Index #6722, is sometimes referred to as “New and Improved” and other times not.

Paul,

That Winchester item with the long bullet is really nice. Have you tried to determine the bullet weight in comparison to a known 29 gr. or 15 gr. load?

Great thread and thanks to all for the interesting photos and info.

Dave

Bob,

Thanks for the heads-up on the “The 22 Box Identification Guide”. I guess I should have looked there first.

Paul

Dave I weighted several cartridges:

29 Gr Rem Splatter-less : 37.79 grains
15 gr Rem Splatter-less: 24.08 grains
? Win with long bullet:: 30.83 grains
Rem. Brass NPE : 7.62 grains
Rem Copper NPE : 7.57 grains
Win Copper NPE : 7.94 Grains

It appears the “long” bullet weights around 21-22 grains. The total cartridge length is 0.79"

Paul

Paul,

Very interesting! Thank you for posting the weight information.

Dave