Green tipped FN 7.92 x 57mm

What loading is this blue-green tipped 7.92mm of Fabrique Nationale manufacture? The headstamp is ‘F N 40’ and the primer annulus is green. I was told that it was armour piercing however all references to Belgian A.P. that I have been able to find suggest that A.P. normally had a black tip.
Jim

Hi
In the great books Published by W.D. de Hek
Military Cartridge Part 2 you can find about 32 page’s about Projectile tipcolours
on page G-12 ( 7,92x57 Belgium Armour Piercing FN headstamp before 1941

regards
Gyrojet

Jim, I bought one of these many years ago, along with a red-tipped twin. Both were sold as AP and Tracer respectively, made for export. This might explain the green tip instead of black…

AKMS

Just a quick observation. All the FN green tipped AP (some with green case mouth band) I have in my collection are dated 1940 or before. The black tipped AP (some with black mouth band) are post WWII dated.

[quote=“gyrojet”]Hi
In the great books Published by W.D. de Hek
Military Cartridge Part 2 you can find about 32 page’s about Projectile tipcolours
on page G-12 ( 7,92x57 Belgium Armour Piercing FN headstamp before 1941

regards
Gyrojet[/quote]

Where can I get a set of that book?

Thanks Gyrojet :)

As Phil points out, the green tip rounds are pre-WWII AP from FN. After DWM took over stewardship of the FN plant during the German occupation, most of the ammunition was made to German specification, and with German ID markings. After the war, FN produced black-tipped AP in at least 1949 (CNCS bullet), 1950, 1951, 1955 and 1956. I have those in my own collection. The 49-date has a purple primer seal, while the others have green primer seals, except for “51” date where I have the black-tipped round with both green PA and red PA. I don’t know if there is a difference in the loading or not. I often wondered if the 51 date with red seal was an APT.

Hey Jim,
As others have mentioned here, this is indeed a normal AP loading. I have removed a core from one of the bullets and it is a boattailed and pointed hardened steel penetrator that appears to be almost identical to the early German S.m.K. cores.
Here are some stats on the core I removed from a 1940 dated round.
Core weight - 88gr
Core diameter - .240"
Core overall length - 1.181"