Greenwood & Bately headstamp search

Hi,

I’m looking for photos of Greenwood and Bately headstamps from the 1886 to 1901 era, preferably on .303s.
Any which are definitely from that period would be appreciated.

Cheers

john

John: Did you see the thread “Uruguayan dug unit” below? It’s a .455, not a .303. Jack

How about on a .276 Pedersen? Not a great headstamp, but I blame the factory.

This is the earliest one I have Cordite MkII, a nice Powder Mk 1 or 2 headstamp would be nice to see a photo of. “G” & “GB” were both used around these dates.

Rich

Here you go John a Powder MkII

Rich

Hello, will post picture of a .455 MKI as soon I will come back at home

Thank you all for your replies. Any reply is helpful and appreciated.

The purpose of this search is to try to see if the photos shown, courtesy of Henry Shields in NZ, could have been made by Greenwood and Bately. This has been the prevailing thought in that country.
My feeling, and it’s only a feeling, is that the heading tool is too rough for a G&B product. I’m wondering if it is in fact, a local produced bunter.

Another strange thing is this photo of an 1898, .303 Mk II packet (bundle). Other than the string used to tie it, identical packets are known in both New Zealand and Australia. The printing on the wrapper is completely different to any other packets known down here, which has led me to the conclusion they may have been printed in Britain. I also believe the contents, regardless of headstamp, were produced by G&B. The influence of G&B on the Colonial Ammunition Company was so huge, it’s very difficult to isolate facts.
Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

Thanks

John

[quote=“RichT”]This is the earliest one I have Cordite MkII, a nice Powder Mk 1 or 2 headstamp would be nice to see a photo of. “G” & “GB” were both used around these dates.

Rich[/quote]

Hello Rich,
The bullet you show’s is different as other’s MkII bullets. Is it a cupronickel cup inserted in the top bullet like the MKIII?
Laurent

Laurent, I believe the cupro-nickel cup of the Mk III was inserted backwards so creating a hollow point. This looks like some type of commercial expanding bullet to me.

thank you Jim,
I think you’re on the right way, this subject was discussed earlier, I’m just a little bit late…
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17862&p=127574&hilit=303+MKIII#p127574