Guess what it is

We don’t usually have quiz threads but I think that this picture worth it. Can you guess what it is?

Hi Fede,

It looks like a projectile from a duplex shot (early SALVO).

Paul

The gun’s muzzle is somewhat reminiscent of a BAR without the sight hood and flash hider, but I could be wrong. It has been some years since I have seen one. Unlike Paul, I have no clue at all on the projectile, but then rifle stuff is not my forté.

a two or more piece projectile with a diagonal ‘slit’ it can only be a “danged if I know”

Second vote for early long-neck SALVO duplex. IIRC, they used modified BARs for at least one of those tests.

Paul and John, good eye! You nailed the identification of the projectiles and gun. This is a .30 cal. duplex cartridge fired from a modified BAR rifle to prove the feasibility of nested bullets. This is “Round no. 2”, while “Round no. 5” showed a complete separation of the projectiles 10" from the muzzle.

Thank you all for your interest.

The book “SPIW” has a photograph of the two bullets from round #5.

While the SALVO trials concluded that the multiple bullet cartridges could work, they stopped far short of endorsing the concept as having a lot of military value. I would have thought it would have ended there, but danged if the idea was not resurrected with the 7.62mm FAT314 Duplex cartridge and the short-lived M198. If nothing else, our military R&D types are persistent.

Ray