Gun powder measuring item "HERCULES 24-26 GRAINS INFALLIBLE"

How exactly was it used? Also, what is the last word? I have problems reading it.

The last word is INFALLIBLE, name of the smokeless powder manufactured by Hercules Powder Co. Jim…mr97

1 Like

Hmm, do I need to write "infallible or “infaillible” in name of this post?

The stamping is " INFALLIBLE" --English-- the bottoms of the “L” are indistinct.
The French equivalent, would be
" INFAIBLE", different Spelling.

DocAV

1 Like

You are correct, the weak stamping threw me off and I’m not familiar with this cartridge. I have removed my previous post. Having said that, Infaillible is absolutely a correct translation, as would be found in Larousse etc.

1 Like

Powder measure for Hercules powder.

1 Like

Guys,

attached pic of a can of the powder.

Armourerjim

Hercules Infallible powder 3|690x466 Jim

1 Like

My apologies on the French translation…High School is 55 years back (1966); and even though I won a prize at the Local
ALLIANCE FRANCAIS, I did not get actual in-country experience till the late 1970s whilst in Italy and France.
Plus I don’t own a LaRousse, only a Collins.
C’est la vie.
DocAV

1 Like

Sometimes found with a handle to scoop the powder (or shot) into the shell, but basically a measuring cup for that brand of powder. Two on the left are for shot & are adjustable.

edited to add another well made example about 7 inched long, 1 3/4" deep & with an English penny used for the bottom so about 1 1/8" wide.
DSCN5120

2 Likes

Infallible was a shotgun powder.
One of my mentors in college had a prior life as a chemist, employed by Hercules Powder for 20+ years. Once she told me that Infallible was chemically the same as Unique, but they changed the screens during the manufacturing process.

1 Like

Pete, what is the present day punishment for welding the monarch’s image face down in London? You definitely needed to hide this 300 years ago… :guardsman: :guardswoman: :guardsman:

The Penny ( Pence, “d”) is no longer currency, so it is no longer
“The Queen’s Coin” and is considered scrap metal.

If it was a current Decimal Pence ( p) the matter would be “Defacing the Queen’s Coin” and attract a stiff fine or even a prison sentence.
DocAV

1 Like

It’s Queen Elizabeth, the urrent Queen, & so not 300 years old & so also not to worry as DocAV notes

1 Like

sksvlad

attached pic of a can.

armourerjim

2 Likes

Beautiful…

You would pour the powder into a bowl, dip the measure, (also called a Powder Dipper), into the powder, bring the dipper up and hold it level, then tap gently until the powder was level with the top of the measure.
The other method was to gently scrape along the top of the measure to remove the excess powder, but that was not as common because it might slightly compress the powder, giving you inconsistant powder charges.
Lee Reloading company still makes a powder dipper kit.

1 Like