Guns and ammo captured to the Republicans, Spanish Civil War

According to the official Spanish Army magazine in the june, 1940 issue, these are the figures about guns and ammunition captured to the Republicans until the end of the war (april 1939):

Artillery guns 1.877
Artillery projectiles 3.683.086 (not counting the ones destroyed)
Rifles 576.301
Machine guns 25.306
Rifle cartridges 1.136.260.000
Hand grenades 2.475.883 (not counting the destroyed ones, some ten millions)
Mortars 6.990
Explosives 3.516.208 kilos.

There were 60 different cannon and howitzer models, 49 different rifle models, and 41 different light and heavy machine gun models.

The above figures do not count the guns and ammunition that the capturing units kept for themselves.

1.136.260.000 rifle cartridges… now that’s some serious surplus to be sold in the US market…

A lot of that captured weaponry was sold to Sam Cummings of Interarms, and did make it to the US market.

When did this happen? Does anybody have a catalog of some kind where that Spanish surplus was advertised?

From page 126 of “Deadly Business”, by Brogan and Zarca:

“The largest arms purchase Cummings ever made, probably the largest transaction a private arms dealer has ever concluded, was in Spain. In two separate deals, in 1959-1960 and in 1965-1966, he bought well over a million weapons of all sorts and over 250 million rounds of ammunition. He bought all the arms left over from the Spanish civil war, Nationalist and Republican, British and French, Russian, German, and Italian, everything left over from the Rif wars of the 1920s and all the obsolete weapons to be found in Spanish armories, that were being replaced with modern equipment. He paid $4 million in all. He obtained Moisin-Nagents, Mausers, Italian VV70 sniper rifles, Remington rolling blocks, and many thousands of pistols: Astra, Star, Mauser, and Steyr.”

[quote=“jonnyc”]From page 126 of “Deadly Business”, by Brogan and Zarca:

“The largest arms purchase Cummings ever made, probably the largest transaction a private arms dealer has ever concluded, was in Spain. In two separate deals, in 1959-1960 and in 1965-1966, he bought well over a million weapons of all sorts and over 250 million rounds of ammunition. He bought all the arms left over from the Spanish civil war, Nationalist and Republican, British and French, Russian, German, and Italian, everything left over from the Rif wars of the 1920s and all the obsolete weapons to be found in Spanish armories, that were being replaced with modern equipment. He paid $4 million in all. He obtained Moisin-Nagents, Mausers, Italian VV70 sniper rifles, Remington rolling blocks, and many thousands of pistols: Astra, Star, Mauser, and Steyr.”[/quote]

Thanks for the information. Those were glorious days for the collectors…

Lots of the weapons (and ammunition) were sold via the “Ye Olde Hunter” ads in the American Rifleman magazines in the years following those purchases. Of course, they had all sorts of goodies from other deals as well.

Ah, the good old days!

“Hunter’s Lodge” was an Interarms company.

And even I, a very late comer to the scene, got a piece of that action in the shape of 1936 Mosin-Nagant and 50 rounds of 1935 Soviet ammo, which I think came as a combo at that time. Receiver has “Made in USSR” on top.

[quote=“sksvlad”]And even I, a very late comer to the scene, got a piece of that action in the shape of 1936 Mosin-Nagant and 50 rounds of 1935 Soviet ammo, which I think came as a combo at that time. Receiver has “Made in USSR” on top.
[/quote]

I think that marking was made by the US importer.