Gyrojet

From left to right :
N

JP;

Your flares are fairly common 13mm MBA model 201-G (for Global) distress signal flares. They are painted red to indicate the color of the pyrotechnic display. There are several other colors including white and green in the production versions. These were made in the millions by MBA and, later, TRACOR/MBA and are still in use by the U.S.A.F. as the APA-25. I have over 70 variations of these with many different design details including the different nose shapes on your two. You can see with a magnet that your rocket motor sections (bottom of the flares) are steel. Your flares have aluminum cases, but these also had magnesium, plastic, etc. Your flares appear to be normal live versions, not dummies. All of the production 13mm flares had two-port (hole) nozzles (bases). They were sealed against moisture with a lacquer-type clear liquid called “humiseal,” which often had red food color mixed in so that quality inspectors could visually confirm that the seal was there. Sometimes the red color is very light and sometimes heavy.

I have an entire chapter of these and their launchers in the book I’m finishing this year.

Hope that helps.

Mel

Thanks Mel
JP

Great to see Mel on the forum. He knows far too much about MBA and we all look forard to his book about the subject.

[quote=“Mel”]JP;

Your flares are fairly common 13mm MBA model 201-G (for Global) distress signal flares. These were made in the millions by MBA and, later, TRACOR/MBA and are still in use by the U.S.A.F. as the APA-25. I have over 70 variations of these with many different design details including the different nose shapes on your two.
Mel[/quote]

Hi Mel,
when I say : “which one is the scarcest ?” it means :
even if the rounds are common and almost no value, there is one which is better to keep than the other when you must keep only one.

Here are some less common rounds (I think !) (:

From left to right :

1. 13 x 50.5 4 holes
  2. 13 x 58 4 holes
  3. 13 x 61.6 4 holes
  4. 7.82 x 33.75 4 holes
  5. 7.85 x 33.80 no base
  6. 7.90 x 47.50 4 rectangular holes

How do you call these models ?
N

JP;

Your two 13mm flares each have the same value of about $26 USD based on the average of all known public auctions of this specific flare type in red since 1984. The lowest price realized was $10 USD and the highest was $67 USD (all prices converted to 2005 dollars). Other types and colors can be much more expensive: red is the most common. Condition is everything, so I’d keep the one with the best paint and markings. Sometimes, the black ink markings are sharp and crisp; sometimes not. If everything is still the same, keep the one with the earliest date, which is normally the second line, with the month and year. Looking at your picture, I’d say the flare on the left is in better condition.

On your other rounds, the two on the left appear to be Dutch MiRa (Mini-Raket), probably electric primed. #3 is an MBA .50 caliber made from a .50 BMG GMCS or, rarely GM,bullet jacket. The extended post from the primer pocket is new to me. #4 is a 7.62mm/.30 caliber (MBA used both designations) made from a .30 caliber bullet GMCS jacket. #5 is the same caliber, but from an unfinished .30 caliber bullet jacket draw piece. It has ben nickel plated as a souvenir. These were for a reduced-size gyrojet pistol that looks like a miniature Mark I Model B 13mm. I have no clue about the one on the right with the two-tone color tip.

Mel

Thank you very much Mel
JP