Hand grenade pin, maybe?

I bought a used US Army camo jacket (yes, at a garage sale) for my son to play war with his friends. This was inside of a pocket. May it be a hand grenade pin? The ring fits nicely on my thumb.

yes it is
jp

Yup, that’s what it is.

AKMS

I had the hand grenade pin from the first grenade I ever threw in training at Ft. Ord, California. It looked exactly like that. I don’t know what ever happened to it. I haven’t seen it for 40 years. Looks like the guy that wore that Field Jacket dropped one into his pocket, too. You often find neat things in strange places like that. It is amazing what you find. I bought a Chicom Tokarev holster years ago for one I had in my collection of autos in the early 1970s. I tried to put a spare magazine in the pocket, and it wouldn’t go all the wya in. I found a Chinese 7.62 x 25 round covered with verdigris in the bottom of the pouch. Evidently popped out of bent mag lips, or maybe someone shoved it in down there to hold the magazine higher in the pouch so he could grab it better. Who knows? Perfectly normal cartridge by the way. A friend of mine bought a Russian Makarov holster for his commercial Chinese pistol at a big surplus store in dowtown San Francisco, and inside the holster he found a “Transfer Card” for a makarov and ammunition, from Russia, filled out to some one. He gave it to me for my collection and I still have it, of course.

there is also this pin to close the metal ammunition boxes in France
JM

To John Moss,
If this looks like your jacket, I’ll return the pin.

Vlad - Unfortunately, it could not be my jacket. It is way too new. Our Field Jackets were plain olive green. My son took my field jacket, the only uniform piece I kept when I left service in 1964, and I don’t know what happened to it. Doesn’t matter - I am twice the man I was then. I couldn’t even get my arm into it probably. Only the Marines had camo stuff when I was in the Army, and even for them, it was not worn all the time. They had solid green fatiques too.

The only thing I kept is my helmet from the Reserve, with its all-green cover.
Today, what with British-style commando sweaters, guys running around all over the place in “civilian world” in battle dress, and even officers going into stores without their covers on, I wouldn’t even know how to wear the uniform today. We couldn’t leave post in battle-dress, or “fatigues” as we called them then. If you lived off post, and drove home, you could wear fatigues to and from your house, but you couldn’t even stop for a carton of milk at the store on your way. In town, it was Class A all the way, or civvies if you had them and most of us did.