Happy memorial day & thank you!

Just wanted to thank all the Vets, men & women who serve to protect all of our freedom. You are all heroes in my mind and extreamly appreciated!!! Because of you we have our freedom as well as so many other countries. Just wanted to thank each and every one of you and your families for your service and sacrifice. And to keep this post relievent to ammunition so I don’t get in trouble; “THANKS FOR SHOOTING ALL THAT AMMUNITION AT MEAN PEOPLE”!

Jason

Young man, you will never get into trouble on THIS forum expressing that sentiment. As a cold-war veteran spared any involvement in hostile action, I will add a special thanks to those among us who did serve under enemy fire, and of course how can anyone adequately express our gratitude for those that gave all there was to give in hostile action, and continue to do so?

Thanks John. I am just so grateful and people should never take their freedom or those who ensure it for granted. As I get older I find myself addicted to history and confess that I am hooked on the History Channel. The degree of bravery and courage our soldiers exhibit in past, present and future wars and conflicts is beyond my ability to describe with words. All of you who serve in the military in any degree are deserving of appreciation and thanks. This forum and the members that post in it have taught me allot more then collecting tips, I have also learned a tremendous amount of history. The stories detailing your personal experiences are as cherished to me as the coolest pics of any ammunition that gets posted. Anyhow, you guys are all amazing and i felt compelled to start a new topic to say “THANKS”!

My older brother was a B-24 pilot during WW II and he died in March. Three weeks ago we buried his ashes at the National Cemetary in Santa Fe. Several of the younger family members were there and they knew and remembered him only as an old man. We had some photographs of his B-24 crew that we handed out and everyone of the young folks had the same comment. “Oh my gosh, I didn’t realize they were so young!” And they were indeed young. It’s hard to imagine our Government turning over an expensive airplane to a group of 22 year old kids. Today, those same 22 year olds are fighting and dying in a different place but they’re there for the same reason that my brother and his crew were in Europe 63 years ago. I almost hate to read the papers and watch TV anymore but I force myself to do it because we can never forget what they are doing. Whenever I see a truck or car with a “Veterans” license plate on it I follow it into the parking lot and thank them personally. Especially the Viet Nam Vets who deserve a “Welcome Home”.

I still try and keep in touch with my old shipmates from the USS Coral Sea but they are getting fewer and fewer. Like me, they are old men too, but I will always remember them as the kids we were.

Don’t ever forget.

Ray

Thanks for that Ray! Just amazing! Hero is a understatement for your brother!

Hey Jason, Ray, John

I, too, admit to a military life of perpetual boredom interspersed with Liberty Call, and a few exciting moments. None in the combat arena. Thank God. My Father and Brother played in SE Asia, youngest Son in the current affair. Read something the other day, and it goes:

The only thing harder than being a soldier in combat, is being a loved one waiting at home.

I know that, real well. They are also in my thoughts today.

Rick

I trained for five years in the Marines for a war that lasted 100 hours (Desert Storm). I get embarassed to hear praise from civilians for my service when as a student of history I know well the great sacrifices made by those before me and those currently serving. To keep this thread cartridge related, today I went to the range with one of my sons and a nephew and expended a large amount of ammunition in celebration of our freedoms paid for by the blood of patriots. And, I added two new cartridge cases to my collection in the process!

AKMS

I spent many years in the US Army and never fired a round in anger. I still have lots of friends in the service and unfortunately know several that did not make it back. To those still over there, God speed and God bless! And to all of our veterans, and our active duty and reserve soldiers, sailors, airman and Marines

Sht_LE

Great photo. It sent chills up the back of my neck. Thanks for sharing it and tell your dad I said, “Welcome Home!”

Ray

The photo of your father is increadible! Please thank him from someone he has never met. We all owe our freedom and way of life to men like him. That picture captures so much. thank G-d he made it home!!!

Ray,
My dad was a B-24 navigator/bombadier, with the 34th Bomb Group at Mendelsham, England in 1944. He’s second from the left, back row in this picture of his crew, of which he was the old man at age 26. They flew the Dynamite’n DoDo on 17 of their 29 missions.

This plane is thought to be the only heavy bomber credited with shooting down a V-1 Buzz bomb, which is noted on the side of the plane to the left of the mission bomb symbols.

My dad is alive and well at age 89, and residing in Bostic, NC.

Expressing one’s gratitude to those who put themselves between this nation and those who mean us harm is never going to be unacceptable on this forum as long as I bear some responsibility for the content.

My gratitude to all of them, no matter when they served.

Guy, my Dad loved the mountains so much, he would spend his days off packing supplies up to the AMC huts in the White Mountains for relaxation - typically two round trips a day! When they were forming the Tenth Mountain in early 1942, he volunteered because he could ski and climb as well as - or better than - the youngsters; at age 39, they called him “Gramps!”

Thanks Teak. I have such respect and gratitude for Vets as well as others who serve in the Armed Forces, I had to create a thread to say thanks! Was hoping it would be ok. The stories and photos of these heros really get to me, just increadible.

As I am 18 and have yet to decide if the service is right for me I don’t have any personal experience. But One grandfather served in Korea while my mother was born and the other landed with the 29th Infantry Division at Omaha beach no less.Sometimes when thing are not going well I think and realize that nothing in my life has ever come close to what they went through. I know many people my age don’t seem to know or care about why they have day off to go to the beach or what the “memorial” in memorial day means,but at least some of us do. And we are forever grateful.
-Josh

Teroenza - although I was a regular Army soldier or active Reservist for 9 years, I don’t belittle anyone who decides that the military is not for him. My own son chose not to join the military, but has served the public interest for 19 years as a California Highway Patrolman. I am proud of him, and consider those that have died in Police and Fire Services along with our combat veterans of the military. Each must walk to his own drummer. As long as one lives a life that reflects honor upon himself, his family and his country, he can hold his head as high as any. Just my humble opinion, as they say. And, I join others on this forum in welcoming home all of those veterans of all wars that were able to survive and come back to us. We hold them in the same esteem as those who could not come home.

As a Vietnam era VET I don’t need parades or speeches by politicans, but an unsolicited thank you is OUT STANDING!! So thank the Guys and Gals, it means alot.

No, THANK YOU VIC! :-) You guys rule!

I don

Ray, I showed your carrier photos to my father, (he is a huge military aviation buff) he enjoyed them. Guy great photo! Will have to show it to my father too. Any idea how they got the buzz bomb? Right place right time I am guessing?

And once more thank you to every one who has served!

“It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of press. It is the soldier, not the poet who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag who allows the protester to burn the flag.”

–Father Denis Edward O’Brien SGT, USMC

I don’t know that anyone can recall the specifics of how or when the buzz bomb was shot down. I only became aware of it last year when my sister was corresponding with someone who was researching a B-24 crash that involved my father’s Commanding Officer. He gave her the addresses of a couple of great B-24 web sites which have mission information and pictures of hundreds of planes. The addresses are:
b24bestweb.com/Default.htm
valortovictory.tripod.com/

The picture that I posted was from that web page; I have a picture that my father had of the crew, but it does not show the mission symbols or the bnuzz bomb, as it was taken up closer top the crew and the upper portion of the nose is not in the picture.

One of my father’s crew members is on record as stating at some point that their tail gunner shot it down, but my father has no recollection of the event, which I would expected to be one of those things that would stay with him, and his memory is still quite good. He kept a log of all the missions, which does not mention the buzz bomb. The plane flew 7 missions with the 486th bomb group prior to being assigned to the 34th bomb group, which I assume are represenmted by 7 of the 34 mission symbols on the plane at the time the picture was taken. Of the remaining 27 missions, my father’s crew flew 16 of them. So, it is quite likely that one of the other crews was responsible for getting the buzz bomb, but unfortunately, there doesn’t appear to be a record of it that has survived.