Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for my: (insert cartridge!)

[b]Happy thanksgiving! Post your absolute favorite cartridge/piece of ammunition/box/shipping container in your collection!

Feel free to give a little description why you are thankful for it![/b]

As well as being thankful for my friends and family, and my IAA family who have taught me so much, I am thankful for my:

Box of C. D. Leet Pinfires!

Pinfires are my specialty, ones made in the US interest me the most, and this represents both of those statements about better than anything in my collection!

I’ll bite

(Thankful for the fellowship of the “gang”…think about it…how much less would your collection mean if you collected it in a “vacuum”…no one to talk-trade-show-buy-barter-research-and talk big with???)

I am fascinated with “color tips”

Few are more storied than the 30-06 frangible tracer

Few (hand full) exist (the tracer compound is naturally hydrophilic and would expand and break off the bullet at the case mouth…as it could expend there)…few were produced (anyone know how many ??)…but very few (? 4) exist today.

Those that do, have a top of a bullet sitting next to it…or have been glued back together.

I begged/borrowed/stole (actually a combination trade and purchase) my first (at it was represented as having been glued). An extremely reputable IAA member, but there was a part of it’s linage that concerned us a little. I x-rayed it as much as I could, but could never get a shadow of a tracer core (rats)!

Along came the disposition of the Chris Punnett’s 30-06 book reference collection. I jumped at the frangible tracer. Of interest…Chris’s was easily confirmed by its linage and x-ray. His bullet at broken off “backwards” as the when the core expended…the fragments fell in to the case. Thus a distinct rattle and an easy x-ray of the jagged, broken pieces.

Now…what to do ?..( I have two)

Well I consulted some of the IAA greats…should I consider exposing it to Paul Smith’s hacksaw? (would Paul even consider it?). I was told, if he does cut it…and it is real…it would/will be the only sectioned frangible tracer in the world!!! (an interesting proposition…somewhat scary…what if it turns out to be a fake?)

Conclusion…Paul called all excited…one, that the cutting did not destroy the bullet. Two, yes…it is real, there is a tracer core and you can see where some of the expanded tracer compound had been hollowed out so it could be glued together.

Going full circle…”thankful” for two great buys/trades…having two storied rounds and argumentatively one, that is a “one of a kind”

Pepper, In 1968 or so, I visited Walt Kramer and in his basement store room he had multiple boxes of Frangible Tracer. He opened at least a box of each to show me the difference in the tracer with the commercial powder and military powder (one had a cream band and the other a white band). Remember he was the commander of the FA lab during WWII.

I know Woodin Lab got many of his best collection items (like a full drawer of Girlich 30-06 variations), but I have no idea where the rest of his collection went nor the stuff in the basement storeroom. As you mentioned, perhaps all the Tracers wound up with split necks and were thrown away.

He had a series of 9mmP in his collection with steel case by WCC from 42 as I remember. Each had a tag indicating different types of lacquers or case finishes like copper-wash. All were in kind of rough condition but there were small bits of the original finish still visable. These have never turned up again to my knowledge. maybe Freddy B or one of the other Ohio collectors knows what happened to Walt Kramer’s stockpile.
Cheers,

Lew

Mr Bill himself was my prime consultant on, one, persuing this, then these round(s)…(how rare they were to value them in $$$ & trade)…and two, if I should slice one in half. He was encouraging and was the one to say…"if its real…it’ll be the only one in the world!)

(maybe there is a batch lurking in someone’s basement?)

I have 2-3 fakes as well.

Be Well

Most recently, I am thankful for a collector who (out of the blue) offered me a deal on many rare pistol cartridges. Among them was a Conjay CBAP MK1 .38spl AP load. The 9mm green tip & green/white tips are hard enough to find, but the .38spl and .357mag CBAP’s are even harder to find.

Another collector recently gave me a roll of coated corrugated drawer-liner stuff to try for my cartridges. You can’t beat our collector fellowship in the IAA!

The cartridge I am most thankful for having is no longer in my collection. It now rests with the man who gave it to me, interned on a peaceful hillside in the bucolic farmland where he grew up. While it was not in any way a great rarity or the envy of collectors, it was a very special item that represented the true nature of the love a father has for his son.

When Remington announced they would issue their Model 700 Classic in .350 Remington Magnum, I had no problem deciding what I would get my dad for his birthday present that year. He had always wanted a rifle chambered for that stubby little “fireplug”. Brass was not to be found, but we were able to find two boxes of factory loads that would supply us with reloading stock. As was his nature, disregarding the odd-lot quantity that would remain, he opened a box and handed me one round as he knew I didn’t have that particular load in my collection. We loaded the remaining 39 many times and enjoyed some great competitions whacking at big boulders we would roll down to the range where we shot to see who could blast off the biggest chunk. Pop with his .350 Mag. against me with my .375 H&H. Always thought that should have become an organized sport…

While I’ve acquired many desirable collectible cartridges, there is none other than that R-P .350 Magnum that I cherish as much and, while not in my drawer anymore, it is one cartridge that will always be with me.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and best wishes to the members of our collecting community.

Dave