Headstamp 6.5 x 55

Anyone familiar with this HS?
Regards Owl.

Hi Owl!

I have not yet seen this headstamp in Sweden socitcis probably not so common here. In my notes I find it as produced in Germany, but I have no insights in the year of production or what factory that might of made the case. The drawers picture shows this layout, and no variations of it.

//Chris

Interestingly, the star imprint is quite similar to that seen recently on a couple of .380 revolver cases. There appears to be no background information (manufacturer, date) for these cases.

Is it possible that Georg Egestorff, Linden, Germany was the source of all of these star hs imprints?

6pt star

380-6star%20(2)380-6star

8pt star

380-8star%20(2)

Sam3

Thanks both of you!
So the L stands for Linden?
Found among Norwegian Krag-cartridges from around 1920.
Could this be from around the same time?
Finn

From the IAA Headstamp Codes page; the ‘GE’ could be:
(i) Georg Egestorff, Linden, Germany.
(ii) General Electric, Cleveland, OH.

From Cartridge Headstamp Guide: White & Munhall. Page 87.

Sam3

I actually found it in a list from SARA Bulletin.
Only listed as German.

65merk1_zpsa5075c42%20(2)

Owl,
Is there any chance that your reference, SARA Bulletin, throws any light on the .380 revolver headstamps with 6pt and 8pt stars, shown above?
Thanks,
Sam3

Owl,
A very nice headstamp!. My experience is that serif letters generally disappeared by the late 1920s, so I believe that your 6,5x55 is likely from no later than the 1920s.

Cheers,
Lew

It is generally accepted that the “G E L” and “G E” hs known on several sporting cartridges (11mm Mauser, 8mm Mauser, 11mm Romanian, 9.3x74R) were produced by LINDENER ZÜNDHÜTCHEN UND THONWAAREN FABRIK VORMALS GEORG EGESTORFF ABTHEILUNG ZÜNDHÜTCHEN UND METALLPATRONEN FABRIK often still just referred to as “Egestorff” . Some other hs do use 6pt stars and serif lettering.

M60

The “74.5 - 9.3” title is early probably c1905-1909.

These formats however were not common and mainly they still used a generic “G.EGESTORFF. LINDEN B/H” hs (or similar variations) after the company was renamed to Lindener c1872.

After the 1909 Erfurt conference for standardisation, this company accepted a change of hs to “L” for “Linden” (where their factory was based) and this “L” hs is known on common calibers produced from c1910-WW1 (eg. 8.15x46R, 9.3x72R) sometimes with small “stars” being used on these hs.

Even though post WW1 1924 and 1925 brochures by Lindener/Egestorff exist, I find no evidence that they actually produced sporting ammunition after WW1 and before 1927 when the factory was sold to Dynamit AG. From 1928, it was reopened by DAG and continued production to the end of WWII (using the codes “emp” and “P 120” - dates from 1926).

So I suspect that your hs dates from the late 1890’s to 1909 and I would be surprised if it was post WW1.

Many thanks…great insight and much appreciated!
Sam3

Thanks for great answers!
And now the unavoidable question…is it rare? Or does everyone that collects 6,5 headstamps got it?

And Sam3,I got the 6.5 list from a fellow collector a couple of years ago,and dont know what other list that exist. But I doubt that .380 is among them…
Finn