Headstamp ID Help needed

I have come across these headstamps I can not identify. Some came from our friend Will Reuter. Anyone know who made them?

Thanks

The D&S headstamp on 9x19mm was loaded by D&S Manufacturing Inc, Passadumkeag, Maine in the mid-1990s. The cases were made by Starline.

Cheers,

Lew

Don’t know about all, but #1 and #3 are probably made up for individual cowboy action shooters with their “Handle” on the headstamp (Sassy Belle, Little Joe). I’ve seen similar personalized headstamps in several calibers from back when I did some CAS. I don’t know who made them, but someone apparently had a business in custom headstamping for CAS shooters, probably on blank cases made by Starline, etc. Not too surprising, as better-heeled and serious CAS shooters can easily put over $5000 into their period costumes and armament. The shooter’s “handle” is a very important part of their assumed character, so it’s immaterial to them if it costs a grand or so to do 500 cases.

Personalized ammo might make an interesting branch of ammunition collecting. I was on a visit to the Remington plant in Lonoke AR 8 or 9 years ago, and they were making up some shotshells marked for Mike Huckabee, who at that time was the governor of Arkansas - his name was being printed on the cases, not the headstamp. As I remember, Remington had some printing system that could be used for such purposes which was feasible for small custom runs, such as for gun clubs, etc.

Number 4 (H T 8) is mine, and it’s on a .303 round that I believe was made in Israel. No idea what the headstamp means. I would be interested to know if anyone else has the round, and the origin of theirs.

#5 was a round that Hakon Skjulestad (a cartridge collector in Norway) was able to have made up as he did quite a bit of business, with I believe, Betram Brass. Hakon gave me a round.

As for other obscure headstamps…do you have this one from York and Sons Cartridge Company of Sedgewich, Alberta? (they also offered shotshell and obsolete calibre cases).

Thanks for the info thus far gents. The Cowboy action rounds sound logical as in this batch also received many shooting competition commemoratives such as “Coors Schuetzenfest” and others. Thanks for the D&S Lew. I have the York and Sons one, the town Sedgewick is only a few hours away from me. Very small town and operation. lol. The Norweigan one was from Australia so the connection with Bertram would be bang on.

416 SAR = Short Action Raptor (From Will Reuter)

600 Nitro confirmed as Bertrams produced in 1991.

1,3 & 7 look like Bertrams but I cannot confirm that at present.

Starline will, I believe, put your name on the headstamp themselves provided your order is big enough.

The 700 is turned so the headstamp is probably a machine engraving.

With a number 8 on the headstamp of any .303 the possibility that it means Mk VIII has to be considered, as for the rest I don’t know, TonyE might know

qual-cart.com/Custom%20Headstamp.htm
Quality cartrige will custom headstamp cartridges. I have seen a number of them at CAS shoots and Estate Cartridge Co. will custom imprint shotshells. At the larger sporting clays shoots I have used shotshells imprinted with company sponsored printing on the shells or the event imprinted.

No. 5, H.B. SKJULESTAD .600 N.E. 3", was made by Bertram Bullets for the Norwegian cartridges collector Håkon Birger Skjulestad in 1999. Onlu 50 cases were made.
morten

[quote=“WBD”]416 SAR = Short Action Raptor (From Will Reuter)
[/quote]

SAR = STYRIA ARMS Ing. Mayerl http://www.styriaarms.com/

Thanks but Styria Arms uses a MAYERL headstamp. The one shown was confirmed and is by OPM and is the caliber designation. Many odd cartridges by OPM showing up lately.

In regard to the .303 headstamp “HT8”, the round certainly has the appearance of Israeli manufacture, so would it not be logical that the “8” signifies 1948 as does the typical “AE8” headstamp of early 9mm?
Regards
Tom

I do believe it is Israeli, but the H T doesn’t translate to any known ammunition entity. The AE rounds are identified with the underground (literally) factory at Rehovot, but the known .303 1948 headstamps from Tel Aviv use Hebrew letters.

Granted, and unfortunately I don’t have an “HT8” round for comparison with my non-headstamped round of Israeli .303.
HT8 could be in reference to any manufacturing machine or pre run batch or components when considered in light of a clandestine factory product. We may never know but fun surmising.
Tom

I got it from the hands of a ret’d. IDF Col., who fought in the War of Independence through to Oct. '73, then many years for IMI. When we met he was the small arms and ammo curator for the IDF Museum. If he had no idea, you’re probably right.

This is perhaps nothing more than a wild guess, but is it possible that the “HT” headstamp, which seems to share some commonality with the 9 mm Para “A E 8” headstamp, could stand for “Hagana Ta’as”? I quote the Jerusalem Post, David Horovitz, April 12, 2007, in an article dealing with the clandestine factory at Kibbutzim Hill outside of Rehovot:

“The machines were restored in 1945, when the Hagana recognized the imperative for home-base production of ammunition for the Sten submachine guns that were being manufactured by Ta’as, the nascent Israel Military Industries. And Kibbutzim Hill was selected for the site of the factory because it was at once isolated but not remote, because its elevation would facilitate the underground construction and, with that magnificent Yishuv hutzpa, because it was reckoned that the British would never dream of the Hagana hiding such a facility right under their noses alongside the Rehovot train station, continually humming with thousands of British soldiers.”

Just a thought, since the names “Hagana,” one of the several Israeli underground organizations, and Ta’as" seem somewhat related in the manufacture of the clandestine ammunition at Rehovot. In this case, “8” would certainly represent 1948, as it does with the 9mm rounds made there.

Doesn’t really sound right in Hebrew.

I was thinking of it in the context of two separate words as in H-T, but I know nothing about the Hebrew language, so I bow to your judgment. It just seemed to fit with the era and the initials. Well, back to the drawing board.