Headstamp ID

Here’s a cartridge I recently found on a WWI battlefield. I suppose it’s Austrian or German, but if someone can give me some more details, i’ll be thankful.

Sellier & Bellot, Prague, Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic) Factory in Vlasim. (From the IAA Reference link)

1 Like

The Sellier & Bellot wasn’t marked with S&B?

Sellier & Bellot have used a number of different headstamps over time. Take a look at the headstamp guide that Jonny referred to. Whilst it isn’t complete, it has a lot of good information.

1 Like

Alright, thank you!

So no discussion about the headstamp. The case is Austrian. I suppose it is a 8 x 50 R Mannlicher: rimmed case, length 50 mm. This was standard rifle ammunition in the Austrian Army at that time.

1 Like

When producing ammunition for the Austrian government Sellier & Bellot marked the cartridges as the government told them to, not according to their commercial policy. Remember that in WW.I DWM-produced 7.9 m/m ammunition bore the identifier “DM” because the German government wanted it that way, even tho DM as a corporation had been succeeded by DWM for a couple of decades. Jack

4 Likes