Headstamp question

Just a quick question as to weather anyone knows the headstamps on the rounds in these boxes. both are sealed the 256 Gibbs is unmarked on the other sides. The Kynoch box is stamped 11 28 on the back.

The Kynoch .303 box is typical export contract, and the box is red to denote “Red Label” air service ammunition which is produced to a higher specification than ordinary ball ammunition, particularly with respect to ignition time. These were for use in synchronised Vickers guns firing through the propellor. Large quantities of this ammo has come out of the Baltic states in recent years as Latvia and Estonia particularly used British aircraft armed with Vickers and Lewis guns in the twenties and thirties.

The headstamp will be “K28 VII”, as despite being loaded with nitro-cellulose powder they were not headstamped as “VIIZ”.

Similar packets of AP are green and incendiary are blue and I think the tracer was also red. Does anyone have a tracer packet of this type?

As for the .256 Gibbs, I suspect it will have an ordinary Kynoch headstamp, but I am not qualified to answer on sporting ammunition! In this case though, the rounds are loaded with M.D.T. Cordite.

Regards
TonyE

THANX HAVE HAD COMPUTER PROBLEMS. I FIGURED THE GIBBS BOX WAS KYNOCH, MUST BE A SMALL ORDER BOX FROM THE 50s

Quote: “These were for use in synchronised Vickers guns firing through the propellor.”

Tony, I could NEVER hope to approach your knowledge of cartridges, or guns, but perhaps we can discuss our “common” language. In “Queen’s English” would it not be (also if not more) proper to say “…firing through the propeller’s arc” rather than firing through the propeller? I think the pilot would frown on firing through the actual propeller, as that might weaken it.

Just a thought…

A fine point elegantly made!

I stand corrected.

Regards
TonyE

The .256 Gibbs was probably made by Kynoch for Gibbs’ shop. I have seen those type written labels before from Kynoch.
Gibbs were in Bristol and sold out in the 60s to their rivals in Bath but the name is still alive and traded. Now based in Marlborough not far from where SlikRick’s son was living for while at Wooton Bassett while he was over here.

gibbsgunmakers.com

I would have made it older than 50s based on the fact it is loaded with cordite.
By the 50s I would have thought it would have been loaded with Nobel powder.(Nobel Rifle 1 would be favourite) Its hard to say, a bit of post war austerity perhaps, which might explain the wrapping. I am going to go for a totally unsubstanciated guess and say it might have been the first order for Gibbs when resuming production after the war. Gibbs and most if not all the other “own brand” ammo sellers like Rigby would have been pretty keen to get their hands on fresh supplies after a six year enforced shortage.

The .256 Gibbs Magnum is basically a cloned 6.5mm Swedish

INTERESTING BUT I SEEM TO HAVE 6.5X54 MANNILICHER IN MIND WASN’T THIS THE ROUND MADE FAMOUL BY KOROMOJO BELL?

No Bell used the .275 Rigby (aka 7x57)

Check out COTW on the .256 Gibbs and the .275 Rigby its all there.