Heavy 7N21 bullet?

Hi guys,

I have the following two 9mm AP bullets in fired condition

While the two bullets externally look identical, one bullet is 5.3 grams while the other bullet is 7 grams.

The 5.3 grams point to a 7N21. The 7 grams point to an SP10 but the location of the red sealant ring is at the same position.

From what I understand, in the 9x21 cartridge, the bullets protrude from the case mouth more than a millimetre more than in the 9x19mm rounds.

The question is whether there is a heavier version of 9x19 7N21 that uses the SP10 bullet but seated deeper to satisfy the maximum oal length

Thank you

The true problem is that under the same designation projectiles were changed a couple of times and only drawing numbers are telling them apart.

1 Like

Have you ever encountered a 9x19 7N21 with a factory 335 case? I am only aware of 7N31 from that factory. Thank you

No, and the reason is simple.
The 7N31 is a development of #335 TsKIB (KBP) and they have no reason to obtain a licence to produce patterns of their competitors (the 7N21). Maybe they even developed the 7N31 to exactly bypass purchase of licences.

The 7N21 comes normally from 188 (LVE) and 539 (TCW/TPZ) while development was done by #61 (TsNIITOCHMASh).

2 Likes

Thank you!

No, as far as I know it was a separate in-house R&D program to make better AP bullets for 9x19 and 9x18; Their concept was, basically, let’s go “light & fast” route. I do not see 7N31 in widespread use, the 7N21 and 7N30 are most common for all service 9x19 guns. Same applies to 7N25 / 9x18 PBP, which is rarely seen in use. After all, small arms and ammunition were / are a small side show for KBP, which now owns TSKIB SOO.

1 Like

Interesting information Maxim

How is the design philosophy of the 7N30 compared to the other designs?

Any comment on the difference in weight of the pictured projectiles?

Thank you

The 7N30 is considered “enhanced penetration”, not AP. In our sphere of course it is an AP as it has a hardened core.

1 Like

Thank you!