HELLO! New here

Hello everyone, been reading a lot here and have gained some great information! Thought it was time I introduced myself. I’m Chop, from Wisconsin. I started collecting ammo after my father died. I inherited a few of the guns from his collection and thought that would be great to do, until I found out how much money that cost! I decided that a more financially feasible alternative would be to collect the bullets that the guns shoot.

Been collecting for several years – just picking up stuff that I knew that I didn’t have. What I have is not really organized at all.

I’m also wondering how you guy’s display your collections and am looking for ideas. I picked up a drawer for an old “printers desk” but haven’t figured out what to do with it yet.

Looking forward to your advice!
Chop

Ammo artillery
Ammo collection

flechette 2

Hello Chop,

Welcome to the forum!

It looks like you are off to a GREAT start to your cartridge collection! You display the cartridges well, and have some nice items!

Keep up the great job!

-Dave

Just like him, I am also a newbie, it’s not me who collect cartridges it’s my dad. I am trying to get some ideas from this forum which I can share with him.

Chop, that 105mm Flechette “APERS” projectile is really great and seldomly seen in this complete (?) and good condition.

Hi Chop - if your Dad had the guns that shot all of those I’m glad that I don’t live in Wisconsin!

On a serious note - welcome aboard and thanks for sharing what is a very nice collection.

The 105mm Flechette “APERS” projectile is a mock up offered by http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/ (John Morris ) also on Gunbroker as “cannonmn”. I believe he is sold out of them. He represented it as a mock up and explained the project to me…and I bought one as well. The base and the semi complete flechette pack stack are “original”…but not “full” or fully “collared”. He had the projo casings made up (this is where the correct profile goes astray), so he could utilize his components. Here is a sectioned 105 that resides in the Marine EOD “shop” at Marine Corps base Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

I couldn’t fit it in my “carry on”…rats !!!

PS…I hope to meet Chop one day soon; he’s only 25 miles away!

You nailed it Pepper, I bought the beehive from cannonmn on Gunbroker. There are a few things that it is lacking, but it “looks” accurate - and I figured that was a good start.

Here is the printers desk drawer that I have. To give you an idea of the size of the drawer, those are three .50 cal rounds together in one compartment.

Again, I’m still trying to figure out how to display pieces in a somewhat meaningful fashion, ie .22 cal rounds together, or large bore (safari) rounds together etc. Is there a logical way to do this or how have you guy’s done it?

Ah, thanks for the insight guys! I was not aware that even such items are getting reproduced.

Too bad it is not original.

Chop
As to storage & display you might try searching this forum as it has been covered / discussed a number of times.
My self, I favor drawers, easy to access & you don’t have to worry about dusting them or knocking them on the floor.
But remember you will always need to expand what ever field you collect in, because it never seems to end.
good luck!

My all time favorite is/are re-purposed metal blue print file drawers. Very easy to find with everyone going digital and selling them off…but not without issues. Cost; shipping (or pick up), and not the least of which “space”. I line mine with jumbo flute single sided corrugated cardboard.

I still have “eye candy” in glass cabinets and various displays. Everyone has gone though cigar boxes, plastic parts boxes, zip lock bags and of course lining rounds up on ledges and shelves. The “line up” gets frustrating when you need to add examples and the “domino” fall begins and your’re catching rounds rolling off the shelf.

Cautions. Wood cabinets can be corrosive, damp concrete can be unfriendly but everyone makes due with what they have!

As Pete says…you can never plan for enough expansion as it grows and specializing kicks in.

One size never fits all; from small rim fires to artillery examples (and bigger) so be creative and learn from us oldsters who all made mistakes.

Chop
Here is some idea how to do it they hang on the wall but need to be locked due to
Canadian law.
Sherryl