Help finding a Polish Radom Subcaliber Device

I recently found a Polish drawing of a subcaliber adaptor cartridge for the Polish Radom pistol. I will added to the thread on subcaliber adaptors when it is brought into this forum.

I know some of you frequent gun forums. Would you post a request to see if anyone has any information on a Polish subcaliber adaptor device for the Radom. It would have predated WWII. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Lew

Lew, there are a couple of good Radom books out there, did you find a reference to this device in any of them?

Jon, My autopistol liberary is pretty limited. I don’t have either of the Radom books. If someone has them I would appreciate them taking a quick look for a subcaliber device and letting me know. Thanks!!!

Lew,

The only two books I know of that could be called “Radom Books” are “The Radom Pistol,” by Robert J. Berger, and “Polskie konstrukcje broni strzeleckiej,” by Zbigniew Gwozdz and Piotr Zarzycki.

The former is only about the Radom P35, but makes no mention of anything to do with .22s. Frankly, while not a bad little book, it only covers, or at least pictures, stadard variations of the Radom P-35 pistol. It does not even picture the shoulder-stock for the early slotted Radoms. The latter book is all in Polish, and is a survey work of all Polish military rifles, pistols and SMGs from, it seems, about the end of WWII thru the Commumist era. While it pictures a 5.6 mm pistol, there is nothing about a conversion kit that I can discern. Of course, I do not read one word of Polish, the sole language of the book, but it seems even the 5.6 mm pistol is in a Museum, intimating it is basically a one of a kind. The text might prove that assumption wrong.
The one picture is a very dark view of the right side of the assembled pistol, with the only difference discernible being that the barrel protrudes more from the front of the slide than does one in 9 mm.What is visible of the barrel at the ejection port looks normal. There is no picture of the pistol disassembled, which might have told us something about it.

Sorry I can’t be of more help. If there is any other book on Radoms, I am unaware of it. I would like to know myself. It is certainly a topic among auto pistols that could use a truly scholarly review.

Hi Lew!

I like very much your never-ending enthusiasm for a new item right in the field of your researches …

But, I must tell you that the drawing of the Polish 9/22 LR Radom reducer was only for a project which never had time to be realised at the Radom factory, due to the 1939 events. I obtained it from a polish old friend, Zbignew Gwozdz, a colonel in Polish Army Ordnance.
When we met, thanks to an article about Polish Mauser ammo that I wrote in the now-defunct FIRE magazine, from Belgium, at the beginning, in the 80ies, he was extremely cautious about our relationship, but as a not-so-far neighbour of my wife’s family in Poland, he managed to get me some quite interesting goodies at the time (including my first 7x49 experimental “Lantan” round, against baionets and knifes he did collect. (Should I say that we did also share a common interest for good old French cognac?!)

He left the Army some years later and now, as there are no more troubles with the former communist rule, he enjoys his retirement and writes in several Polish weapon magazines.

He was also nice enough to find me xerox copîes of interesting pre-WWII documents from the local Military Archives, and good pictures too…

He obtained the drawing of the reducer directly from the Radom factory (now “Lucznik”) and he was certain that no specimen did exist, and probably was ever made. He quotes this in the book that John Moss speaks about.

About the 22 LR VIS 35 pistol pictured in the same work, it is preserved at the Army Museum, Budapest (Hungary) and you bet that the guys from the Polish Army National Museum in Warsaw (I was in close touch with them too…) are crying every time they speak about it!

Probably one single specimen of this weapon was ever built, and only God knows how and when it arrived in Hungary…

So, the sad conclusion is, (at least for my advice, that there is none of these reducers existing to-day, but that maybe some day, a local genius will be able to work out nice copies to make hard cash with some avid US (and other!) collector…

Well, let’s just pray and take care!!!

Philippe

Philippe, Many thanks. When I saw the date, I suspected that the war may have ended the effort, but who knows? Strange things happen. Somebody must have designed at least the barrel of the adaptor to be able to design the portion in the drawing.

I have drawings of a number of really interesting headstamps, which I am fairly confident were never made, but I put them on my wantlist asking for confirmation of their existance. Occasionally I am surprised. Only a couple of years ago a headstamp I thougth was a misprint was confirmed, and about 5 years ago I found a cartridge in a box of assorted “stuff” that had been reported to me 30 years ago and was on my want list for over 20 years before I dropped it because the source could never find it to confirm the headstamp and nobody I asked had ever seen it. Suddenly there it is. that is what makes the hobby fun.

Thanks for all your help over the years. It is much appreciated.

Lew