Help ID 65mm cannon cartridge case

I’m hoping someone can ID the cannon case shown below. Its dimensions are (to the nearest mm):

Diameter at case mouth: 65mm
Diameter above rim: 68mm
Diameter of rim: 76mm
Case length: 249mm

12 o’clock: KN in cylinder
2 o’clock: IV
3 o’clock: C
6 o’clock: 3 ^ 93 (^ is a British broad arrow)
8 o’clock: S followed by a spear-like symbol
9 o’clock: F

All markings except the ones at 2 o’clock and 8 o’clock are struck through with horizontal lines, so presumably this has been reloaded at some point.

Additionally, there are two rectangular notches cut through the case about 12mm below the mouth, spaced 180 degrees apart. Here is a side photo of the round next to a 30mm GAU-8 for scale, as well as a photo of the headstamp (sorry for the poor-quality images!).

Am I correct in assuming that KN indicate King’s Norton Metal Company?

The KN inside a drum is indeed the trade mark of Kings Norton. This case has traveled about a bit as the “S” followed by an arrow above an “I” is an Indian Ordnance mark.

This is a British 6 Pounder Hotrchkiss Mark 4 case. It was made by Kings Norton Metal Co. in Abbey wood, Kent UK. It was then loaded with a full charge of cordite in March 1893. this is indicated by the “F” stamp.

It was fired once, then reloaded at an arsenal in the Southern circuit of India as a blank. The “SI” with the arrow stands for Southern Circuit. The loading date and “F” would have been crossed out or “cancelled” when it was reloaded.

When these cases were reloaded as blanks, they were shortened to the length that your case is now, and the slots were added to hold a fibre board cap. The case would have originally been 307mm long with a neck to hold a 57mm projectile.

That is a nice find with an interesting history. There probably aren’t many of them in the USA.

Thank you both for the great information. If only it could tell its story - I’d be very interested in how it ended up in Arizona!

Your ID of Chip’s case may lend a clue to this item’s history:

The case length is 254mm and the shoulder and neck are of turned brass with an undercut base that fits into the case mouth. The unmarked projectile is very tightly pressed into the ID of the brass “adapter”.

I had figured it to be a product of time and opportunity as far as the “adapter” was concerned but could never figure why the case was cut back like that. Maybe a blank case made into a souvenir?

What does the headstamp tell us? (Other than the fact that this doggy has been 'round the track)

With the hole in the base and the tip of the projectile, it probably was a bunch of surplus stuff assembled into a lamp. Perhaps a “one off” local job, or perhaps made as part of a commercial project.

“Victory Lamps” were popular in the U.S., made from left over brass shell casings and projectiles with a small plate on the case, and the projectile engraved or stamped with a verse about “They shall beat their swords into plowshares…” and a “Doughboy” (or Brody to our Brit allies) helmet was mounted atop the lamp assembly to act as a shade. These were made with either 75mm or 3 inch rounds (or perhaps both). This sort of “trench art” turns up from time to time, and the wise artillery collectors usually seem to have no interest but the crazy folks who collect trench art like them.

I don’t think you case was a blank as it has no slots. I have also never seen a blank with a date that late. I believe it is someone’s “trench art” item.

Your case was a Mark 3 case made at the Kynoch Works in Witton, Birmingham, England in 1918. The case was one of lot #215 of that year. It has been loaded once with a full charge of cordite. I believe the FB, arrow and 88 indicate the filling station and loading lot, although I’m not sure what factory used the “FB”. I have seen reference before to the “1” in the circle but unfortunately I can’t remember what it means.

Thanks, Falcon. I’ve had that one around for a long time and always wondered what would motivate someone to cut off the case shoulder and neck only to fabricate a new one from heavy brass tube. No limit to what having time and material at hand will lead to…At least now I know what the headstamp is about!