Help ID a REM UMC 410 Shotshell

Please see photos below. I ran across this REM-UMC 410 shotshell in a box to ID for inventory. I have never seen one of these. I also don’t know anything about shotshells which does not help either. The shell is ribbed paper and is approximately 1.87 inches OAL.

I am guessing this makes it a 2-inch shell since it has a roll crimp? When did they make these? I have looked at some old REM-UMC catologs and am not sure of the date of manufacture since it doesn’t look that old and didn’t find a good match. Did these serve any special purpose or is it just another variety of shorter 410 shotshell? How much shot was in one these things?

Thanks for any assistance and information.

Heavyiron

I would appreciate any information someone might have about this shotshell.

I’ve never heard of a 2" .410 shell from Remington, but then, until recently I hadn’t heard of a 2" 12ga shell either, and Remington did make those for a short time many years ago. Things like old black-powder era guns with Damascus twist barrels come to mind for which 2" shells with reduced charge are used in. Companies like Polywad, B & P, and RST make modern smokeless powder loads of reduced charge in 2" size for these today. As to 410 bore 2" shells, I have seen these from Gamebore in the past.

heavyiron

THE WORD “KLEANBORE” WAS USED BY REMINGTON CIRCA 1926-1960. I SUSPECT YOUR SHELL DATES AFTER WORLD WAR II. IT IS LIKELY LOADED WITH A HALF OUNCE OF No. 5 CHILLED LEAD SHOT, PROPELLED BY A SMOKELESS POWDER CHARGE. SORRY I CAN’T BE MORE SPECIFIC.

Thank you DK and GWB. That helps.

It seems like there is more structure to figuring out the when and what of Winchester shot shells compared to the Remington. I get easily lost.

Best,

Heavyiron